Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Got the car home yesterday. After I cleaned all the junk out of the interior I noticed that there is some surface rust on the driver's floor and some other places. Nothing major, I could just sand it off and paint, but I want to make sure that I do this right.
What if any experience have any of you had with the above choices, or do you have another method? I read the article in the latest issue of one of the Mustang magazines, can't remember which one, that used the POR floor repair kit. I don't have any holes, so i am just looking for what will work best to prevent future problems.
The car has apparently been sitting outside at the place I bought it from for about 11 years, I don'tknow how long without the doors, so I am amazed that the car is in such good shape.

·
Registered
150 Posts
This question comes up frequently and everyone seems to have their favorite, so for what it is worth I'll pass on my limited "wisdom":

POR-15. - produces a hard surface; can't handle brake fluid;. I could never get a smooth surface. VERY TOXIC, have lots of fresh air.

ZERO RUST- easy to use; not very toxic; doesn't produce a "rock -hard" surface. Takes many thin coats to seal off rust.

Hirsch Miracle Paint - A lot like POR-15; very toxic and gives rock-hard finish. Holds up to brake fluid better than POR-15

Chassis Saver - Similar to POR-15; doesn't seem as toxic; holds up to brake fluid. Cheapest of all of the above.

Again, this is my experience others may have had other results.

Hope some of this may help.

Tom

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
If it's the textured grain on the door I wouldn't sand, use POR15, or Eastwood's Rust Encapsulator. All three will make the texture disappear. I would hit the rust patch with metal prep. The stuff I use is PPG Metal Prep and is similar to Eastwood's Oxysolve. It's acidic and eats the rust off leaving the good steel behind - if you keep at it and don't let it dry out before rinsing. I found on the exterior of my fender aprons and shock towers I had to treat it several times to reduce the rust to minimal.

I plan on using metal prep on my '65 I6 doors next.

Regards,

Dean T

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I would not sand, but remove the rust with a wire wheel so as not to remove the graining. Then treat with an acid wash (MetalP Prep etc)to "kill" the small rust remaining. Both Corroless/Rust Encapsulator and POR-15 are thick, and would fill the grain, so I'd recommend thinning Rust Encapsulator and using a light coat of that prior to topcoating. Don't use the POR as you need to use a topcoat primer to get other paints to adhere, and the 3 coats of paint will definitely fill the grain. Good luck. DIckson

1 - 5 of 5 Posts