Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
846 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who's got a way to remove surface rust from bolt heads without changing bolts? A formula of some sort? ::

·
Registered
342 Posts
you try navel jelly? It is a good rust-eater. stinky, but effective. Used to use it to remove rust stains and deposits from wash basins...

·
Registered
342 Posts
you try navel jelly? It is a good rust-eater. stinky, but effective. Used to use it to remove rust stains and deposits from wash basins...

·
Registered
531 Posts
In the process of bead blasting mine...

No access to a bead blaster, then I second the naval jelly recommendation. Third option: your local Walmart sells "Rust Remover" which about the consistency of yogurt that you could dip/soak your bolts in. It does a fair job at removing the rust.

·
Registered
531 Posts
One more thing... Were you trying to find a way to do it without removing the bolts? That sounds a bit risky...

I have seen spark plug cleaners listed in the Eastwood catalogs. I wonder if that could be rigged to clean bolts one at a time???? Just a brainstorm!!!!

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used a wire brush on a bench grinder. Worked great. Just make sure you wear eye protection as the wire bristles tend to break off.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
I used a wire brush on a bench grinder.
This does work well, but you MUST wear eye protection, and you need to be VERY careful. IF that bolt gets ripped out of your hand it will LAUNCH! Put a nice hole in my drywall doing this. Now I always hold it with pliers (thread a bolt on to protect the threads)

SprintCC

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Yes, the wire brush works good, but every time I tried holding it with a nut, it spun out and still launched. I use a spare peice of rubber to grip it with, like from a bike iner-tube. Eastwood sells some great finishing paints, such as zinc, clear zinc, or phospate, that makes a real good match for factory stuff. I used a replacement kit in my bay for the nuts, bolts, etc, but there were a few missed ( or missing) and this worked great to match everything with a new look.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts