Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
18 year old lacquer job is showing microscopic cracks. Salt air and dew (salt included) are getting through to the metal. "surface" rust area under the paint is much larger than the rust that shows on the top. Tried sanding off the paint and primer. The rust is extremely hard and the die grinder with a wire brush only seems to polish the rust. There is slight pitting in the rusted areas. Any suggestion on how to treat the areas before repainting. Grinding, blasting, sanding or chemicals. What should work? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Best way is chemical dipping. Second best way is media blasting. (low chance of warping) Next best way is sand blasting. (good rust removal but high chance of warping on outer panels) Next best way is 36 grit on a grinding wheel followed by "metal prep" acid wash. In all instances it should be primed immediatly after treatment.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My recommendation is to sand blast if you have it, maybe no more than 60 psi. Paint immediately with self-etching epoxy primer (I use PPG DPLF). Than your primer-surfacer and paint. Are you going to stay with lacquer?

·
Registered
3,102 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. I could sand blast those small areas of surface rust. I will stay with lacquer if I paint just the hood and front fenders myself, as the rest of the car is OK. If I decide to repaint the entire car, I will have a shop do it and probably go with PPG Concept or similar urethane. Thanks again for the advice.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts