Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im in the process of stripping my 69 coupe. Im taking off about 3 layers of paint. Under the paint is a lot of little bits of surface rust. Still very solid, but lots of little spots here and there. These are the areas where the paint was chipping and cracking on the old paint job. Im using 40 grit with a DA, then plan to go over again with 80 grit before priming. So what should I do with these little rust spots? Looks like the last guy who did the body work just put bondo over the rust, causing everything to peel and crack after a few years.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Maybe try a rust converter like Picklex or Ospho? If it's thick, scaly rust, I hesitate to advocate covering it up with Bondo again even if is converted. Rust that would cause pinholes or indentations in the metal when cleaned off should probably be cut out and patched I'd think. Just my newbie 2 cents.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Eastwood garage has a line of rust products that may be helpful....converters, encapsulators, preventors, etc. Check out their stuff online.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Isn't 40 and 80 grit a bit stout for finish metal (aka, metal that you will see from the outside and don't want scratches in)???

Sorry, rookie at this stuff. :) Im used to wood working.

·
Registered
211 Posts
lunarweasel said:
Isn't 40 and 80 grit a bit stout for finish metal (aka, metal that you will see from the outside and don't want scratches in)???

Sorry, rookie at this stuff. :) Im used to wood working.
metal is a different deal. you need a good roughed up surface for the base primer coats or filler work to stick to. as the primer coats increase, the grit of paper used decreases to eliminate sand scratches from the previous coat applied & sanded. usually, you end up with 600-800 grit wetsanding the last coat before color. i try to stay at 600 personally to give my color basecoat a good surface to adhere to. sometimes you have adhesion troubles with 800 grit depending upon the quality of paint used.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I started with 80, but that was not working so well. I couldnt find 60 in 6in stick discs so my only other option was 40. Its working pretty good at getting all the old paint and body filler off. I plan to get to 80 next to smooth it out, then prime. Then ill do my body filler on top of that, then Im not sure what I'll use. Id like some suggestions on that. Can i go right from 80 to wetsanding with like 600? Or will I have to go over it with like 120, then 300, then 600... i really dont want to do all of that, it seems like too much sanding.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I always do a light sandblast to clean any rust out of pits. I don't trust a chemical convertor when I'm spending thousands on a paint job. Don't leave the blaster in one area too long so you don't warp the metal.

Doug

1 - 7 of 7 Posts