Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at getting a steering rebuild kit and a front suspension rebuild kit. The Super package from Mustangs Unlimited Super Front End Kit has most of what I need. Does anyone have any experience or advice with this package?

My other option for more $$$ would be the american pony rebuild kit and the mustangs plus steering kit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Randy

·
Registered
310 Posts
I like the MU kits.. they are full of quality parts and a decent price.. The American pony bushings I found to be a bit skimpy and ppl have complained that they fall apart.. though the hard parts are good quality and I had no actual problems with anything in the kit. I have also had good luck with sets from our favorite auction site....

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
PLEEEASE HEED MY ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

We bought a front end kit from one of the bigger vendors, and we were very, very disappointed in it. It came with Addco sway bars and Prothane poly parts, but that wasn't the problem.

The problem was, this "performance" kit was nothing more than the CHEAPEST Taiwan stuff they could get their hands on. The lower control arms were so bad, we had the following problems:

1. The cotter pin would not go in the hole at the prescribed torque spec (they drilled it too low)

2. The arms were short so it wouldn't align very well

3. Most importantly, the ball came OUT OF THE SOCKET when we tried to align it. Scared me to death as well as my alignment guy! It wasn't hard to do either, and they BOTH did it, not just one side! Don't believe me? I have a video of it!

We ended up replacing the lowers with genuine Moog components, and guess what? no problems.

The "Gas Charged" shocks they sent were so terribly bad that they were actually spongier than the 15 year old ones we took off the car! They were made in the USA, but there was no mfg. name anywhere on the box! Pretty sad when you are ashamed to put your name on the outside of the box OR on the shock itself! They went in the trash!

My alignment guy said it's the same thing with Mid-America Corvette kits - they play off their name and then give you the cheapest junk they can find.

MY ADVICE - Before you buy ANY kit, find out what kinds of parts make up the kit. If it isn't top quality stuff, WHY pay for it! I guess that's my big gripe on the kit we bought - you buy this intending it to be "performance" or slightly better than cheap. My customer would have paid extra to get the better quality parts, and you should too. ASK BEFORE YOU BUY!!

Dave :)
P.S. - I'm going to cut these apart and show everybody how bad they are!!

·
Registered
310 Posts
How about telling us who the supplier was so we know who not to buy from!!!!

AJ

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Rather not say who the supplier is - but if you take my advice and ask, maybe they'll get the hint and make a "deluxe" kit with good parts in it.

If we start demanding better quality from our vendors - we'll eventually get it! Same is true for other repo parts - I use those vendors who try to sell the best parts. Some of these guys (some very close to me) sell the cheapest thing they can get their hands on!

Dave
P.S. - It wasn't Mustangs Unlimited! ::

·
Registered
9,000 Posts
I've had a MU kit that was less than satisfactory about 6 years ago. Poor quality zerk fittings, box inserts in languages I couldn't recognize, mediocre quality components.

I've recently done the entire front end on my 71. I bought everything (including the p/s pump and box rebuild kits)except the pitman and idler arms locally. Struck up a deal with the manager of the local Advance Auto parts store, he knocked 15% off the whole thing because the order was about $550. Everything I received was top quality TRW or Moog parts. Check around locally, I would say to avoid Napa or Carquest, even though they sell top quality goods, they are twice the price of everyone else and it's still just Moog or TRW in a different (sometimes) box. My local Napa guy hit $600 before he was halfway through my list....

Try these links for some prices etc...

www.napaonline.com
www.advanceautoparts.com (includes parts america, csk etc)
www.autozone.com

there are others, just can't remember them now.....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts