Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Working on the suspension for the 65' convertible.
I am confused on all the types of bushings, etc.

Polyurathane, Midolyne, Prothane, Rubber..... etc.

Which type should I use? The car will stay stock and be driven on weekends. I want good performance and parts that will last.

Does someone sell a complete kit that includes all the necessary bushings, etc. to restore the suspension?

Thanks all.

Eric

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
I went with the Midolyne from Canadian Mustang. For what I wanted, rubber would be too soft, and polyurethane to rough or squeeky.....Midolyne is marketed/promised to be a happy medium between the two.

I'm very happy with my decision. There is a kit available. Dickson

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
For a car driven as carefully and (relatively rarely) as yours is, even replacing everything with new rubber will probably last you for decades. I would suggest that you use rubber, but if you must go with something else, go with Midolyne.

Do NOT use Poly bushings on your struts, however! They are too stiff.

·
Registered
712 Posts
My next task on my 66 is to look at replacing/upgrading the suspension/steering/handling as needed. I want to ensure that the ride is smoother and it handles good for my wife.

And of course I have the same question on the type of bushings to get.

The car will be used by my wife as a daily driver in the fair weather months and of course I will be driving it on the weekends.

We anticipate putting on a fair amount of miles during this period, say 1K per month or so.

What would be best rubber or midolyne?

Thanks.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Nick,

Even 12K miles per year is not a lot for a car, particularly if you are rebuilding your suspension. You can go with either... rubber will give you a softer ride, which is what the car was intended to have. Midolyn will give you a stiffer ride and better handling. Your call.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do you know if there is a great price difference between the two?

Thanks.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
The rubber will be cheaper... but it's not the greatest expense you'll pay for your car. I'd just by the ride / originality you want rather than the price in this case.

·
Registered
712 Posts
Do you have any knowledge of any place that sells suspension kits with the rubber bushings? Most of the one in the mags and web have the poly or miodyne.

Thanks.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
No, I've only bought them as I've needed them. Try just calling on the phone; I'm sure they can work with you. NPD is good.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts