Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
9,202 Posts
I upgraded to a 1" sway bar from the stock unit. It isn't clear to me what your chart indicates at the percentage value doesn't have a header. Can you explain? I'm an engineer so I can deal with the details and appreciate the education. Thanks to all; while expensive this has been helpful.
Don't over complicate it. They actually oversteer with a 5/8" front bar...... mathematically, a solid 1 1/8" bar is umptysquat percentage more, bordering on ridiculousness.
(I've got a 1 1/8" front bar on a solid axle truck and it's bordering on too much)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Registered
265 Posts
That is wierd, I just tried to add it and it did say not currently available......

·
Registered
335 Posts
So before ditching the Scott Drake units I went back and did a bit of an unscientific test, cleaning off the grease on the old lowers (which were different and one appears to be an old Moog) I used a pencil to scribe the holes on a piece of paper. The two I removed are identical, but the Drake didn't match up. Going back and looking at the reviews of the Drakes they are either 5 star or 1 star. There were several one star that said the ball joints failed after a few months. Rather than mess around I pulled the trigger on the Moogs on Ebay, as much as I hate Ebay. From what I can tell they are the last two in the country given Moog discontinued them.
Scott Drake parts have been so hit or miss in terms of quality control that I wouldn't ever want to take the chance on them. That and I believe they're all outsourced somewhere overseas, probably to the lowest bidder. One of the many reasons why I went with Moog. Hopefully I don't need to replace mine anytime soon as it seems like they're no longer producing them.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I also ordered the Moog K-8122's to play it safe. I upgraded to a 1" sway bar from the stock unit. It isn't clear to me what your chart indicates at the percentage value doesn't have a header. Can you explain? I'm an engineer so I can deal with the details and appreciate the education. Thanks to all; while expensive this has been helpful.
The chart shows the stiffness of the bar, relative to a 5/8 bar. As you can see, the stiffness increases progressively.

The reason a stiffer front bar increases understeer is as follows: when cornering, the load of the outside tire increases and the load on the inside tire decreases. The sum of the grip of one highly loaded and one less loaded is less then two equally loaded tires. If your car has more roll stiffness in the front than in the rear, this imbalance will be greater in the front and the car will have more understeer. Adding a rear bar will make it more neutral and a big rear bar will make it oversteer. To a dangerous level if you're not careful.

If you imagine an old tractor, it has a front beam axle with a center pivot and no suspension in the rear. It will therefore have zero roll stiffness in the front and 100% in the rear. The front wheels will therefore be loaded equally regardless of the cornering speed and all the imbalance between the left and right tire loads will occur at the rear. So that would be an extreme case of front/rear roll stiffness distribution. A car with an endlessly stiff front sway bar would approach this scenario but of course at the front end of the car.

A bigger front obviously helps keeping the car level, which in itself enhances grip, since it keeps the tires more perpendicular to the road. So, it's a balance between the benefits of keeping the car level and the loss of grip due to the increased front roll stiffness bias.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,065 Posts
I also ordered the Moog K-8122's to play it safe. I upgraded to a 1" sway bar from the stock unit. It isn't clear to me what your chart indicates at the percentage value doesn't have a header. Can you explain? I'm an engineer so I can deal with the details and appreciate the education. Thanks to all; while expensive this has been helpful.
I wouldn't mind learning more too. GT289 has worked in the automotive industry for many years.

·
Registered
65 Mustang Convertible, 289, 4 spd.
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
The saga continues; the reason was "out of stock". Clearly Moog doesn't make these any longer. NPD has reached out to me to help with resolving the Scott Drake issues. We'll see what the alternatives are.Thank you for your help everyone.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts