Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for recommendations for suspension kits (and estimated prices/vendors if you know them) for a 66 vert. I'm not looking for it to be a canyon carver, just a good upgrade from stock. Also, opinions on lowering the car 1"? Thanks for the input!

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
whatever kit you buy, call and ask what kind of parts are in it. some of these performance kits are nothing more than the cheapest Taiwan junk they can get their hands on. Insist on Moog or TRW control arms/rod ends, Addco sway bars, Prothane Polyurethane (if you're thinking that way).

Dave
::

·
Registered
142 Posts
Me and my dad just opted to upgrade the shocks/springs/bushings while keeping the same control arms and steering tie rods. We bought the Street Bandit Handling Kit from NPD. I don't remember what page it's on in this years catalog, but it was $300 or $400, I forget which, and it comes with new lowering 600lb front springs, high performance rear leaf springs, front 1" sway bar, rear 3/4" sway bar, all mounting hardware, rear lowering shackles and, oh yeah, gas-a-just shocks all around, and I forget what else. Then we bought a bushings kit that was on the page directly across from it, and it said, "Perfect compliment for Street Bandit Handling Kit", so we bought it ($300, I think) but it came with all the bushings for all the suspension. We haven't put it in yet, but it looks like a pretty darn good kit. I'll let you know how it works once it's in (although, that might be a while, lol). Good luck with your upgrades!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the feedback, let me know how things turn out. I'm waiting to get my NPD book in the mail still. BTW, nice car I used to have a 68 Alcapulco blue fastback.

Kelly

PS I just saw that episode of FG, laughed my *ss off at that fatty fat fat fat part...

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I got a lot of suspension parts from Laurel Mountain Mustang. They were the brand as you would get from most of the other places. They have ads in every Mustang mag and the web site is Laurel Mountain Mustang.

The best part for you is you can drive there and get your stuff. Go down route 51 south toward Interstate 70. Take Interstate 70 East to the New Staton exit. Go to stop sign at end of exit make a right. Go approximately 2 miles there is only one stop light you go through and turn right onto Sunny Drive. Go down Sunny drive for about a mile and you will see a little sign with their name.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I hate to contradict and muddy the water, but I'm NOT a Laurel Mountain fan. I bought tie rods and 520# 1" drop front coil springs from them when I re-did my front suspension. The coil diameter looked just like the stock ones I removed (thin), and they didn't have the nice taper on the top coil. Over the past 2 years they have sagged almost two inches, causing my camber to be out of whack and wearing the inside edge of the tire. I added a 1" poly spacer after the first year and had it re-aligned. They are sagging again. The tie rods I bought did not match the ones I removed from the car but where between 1/8-1/2" off on length, which is fine if you don't bottom out in the threaded sleeve. I didn't like one outer enough to go get a Moog unit from the local parts shop. It matched the previous stuff. I did use Laurel (or Canadian's) front brake rotors though and 12,000 miles later thay are still doing good. Come to think of it, I used their Midoline bushings for the front sway bar too. The poly squeak was driving me crazy. Over 2 years later and I am still squeak free on Midoline.

My rear leafs I got from Mustangs Plus. They fit right and sat right from day one, and 6 months later I have not noticed any change. In my opinion, they bent me over on shipping though. That's the only reason I haven't yet ordered 620 front coils from them. Anybody have good recommendations on 600# 1" drop front coils from an east-coast supplier?

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
A few years back I bought 5 leafs for my then 70 fastback and they sucked. I can't recall who I bought them from. so when it came time to buy my 65 suspension parts I went with Mustang Plus. The kit is great. The car sits perfect from from to rear and it hasn't had any surprises are far as settling goes and I have had the car on all four wheels for over a year now. Even when it was put away for the snowy weather it sat on all four wheels.

My buddy installed some 620 springs in his 68 coupe and his car really dropped compared to mine and I think it was the cheaper front 620 springs he bought.

I am looking at upgrading to 5 leaf mid eye springs so I would be willing to sell my 4 1/2 leaf mid eyes.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They're about 20 minutes from where I live, I just picked up the SSBC disc brake kit from them and some misc. trim items. They had the best pricing - $799 and helpful service. What part of PA are you from?

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
I live in Pittsburgh. The South Hills area. You live a lot closer than I to Laurel Mountain. I spend more time getting over to route 51 than I do driving on 51.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
How about Virginia Classic Mustang? They are not that far from you for the coils. Then there is CJ Pony Parts in Harrisburg PA. I don't like a lot of their (CJ's) suspension parts because they have made in China or Taiwan on them.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah, I'm from the Greensburg area. I just spoke to the guy who used to do all Laurel Mountain's installation work and he says most of the kits you'll find these days have Jap/Taiwan parts in them whether they say Moog or otherwise. Damned if you do, damned if you don't :p

1 - 12 of 12 Posts