Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so this may be a stupid question but I have to ask. Especially since I just spent all the time and money on all new components. Is there any special grease that is recommended for the zirc fittings on the suspension? Also, how do I know when it is full enough? Everything is new (roller perches, ball joints, UCA, and LCA) so it they are basically dry. I just want to get it right the first time so I don't have to replace something because I used the wrong grease, too much grease, or not enough grease.

Thanks,

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I always use a name brand synthetic grease (if you wait a little while, someone will flame me for spending an extra 3 bucks on a tub of grease that will last me 15 years).

As for how much grease, I just inject grease until the boot just starts to move.

·
Registered
4,415 Posts
I purchased Mobil 1 synthetic grease to use in my new front and rear suspensions. It is indeed more money than the cheap $1.00 a tube stuff, but after dropping big bucks on all these special parts, I felt it was worth the extra money. It is like buying a helmet, how much is your head worth?

One observation on the amount of grase to use, when the parts are new and "dry" pump in enough to fill the boot. When performing maintenance in the future, you should pump in enough to force out the old contaminated grease. Water and dirt get in under the boot and contaminate the grease. When you pump in enough to force wthe old old you are protecting the parts from wear.

Chassis grease is basically a soap base with oil to provide lubrication. Add dirt and water to this mix and it will break down quickly. Newer vehicles do not have any grease fittings, no need for them any longer. If the boot is designed to keep the contaminates out the grease will last forever.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts