Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all,

I know squat about suspensions, so here goes...My driver's side front end rides too low, to the point that a bump causes the wheel to rub on the fender. The other three 'ride height' clearances are fine, it's just the driver's front side. Could this possibly be caused by bushings being worn out, or control arms shot? My guess is that the sping is just off - either worn out, or the P.O. cut it too much and caused it to sit too low. I just rebuilt the motor, but didn't add weight to the motor, if anything, the motor is lighter now. Any suggestions? thanks for the help
clueless in OK

·
Registered
471 Posts
you probably have a bad spring on that side put the car on some ramps and look in the fenders and look at both sprins and see if the upper control arm sets different if it does then new springs are in order. ::

·
Registered
314 Posts
Check your shocks. I have the same problem.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts
Check your shocks. I have the same problem.
Shocks won't cause ride height issues, unless they're totally jammed (unlikely). If it isn't a bad spring, it could be bent suspension components or frame problems.

·
Registered
2,392 Posts
I had the same prob on a '67 FB years ago only it was in the rear, the leaf spring on the drivers side was sagging more than the other making the whole car lean to the left but both springs were shot. If the bushing in your spring perch pivot is worn or missing it would make the spring sit lower but I doubt it would cause it to ride as low as you described. My guess is it's your springs but other possibilities include a cracked shock tower or control arm, rusted frame rails, or worst case scenario is a bent frame from accident damage.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
The springs lose their load but not their rate. They are as stiff as before, they just sag. If you identify your problem as sagging front spring (let's hope it is that, all the other possibilities are bit nasty, but check them carefully), you can try rubber blocks between coils as an emergency.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts