Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I'm stumped... is there a kit that would be good for me to use to rebuild the entire suspension on the Shelby, or am I better off doing it part by part? I like the idea of having one big kit, even if I don't use all the parts, so I don't forget something and bring the rebuild to a screeching halt.... ideas? gotchas?

-bob

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
65-66 Shelbys came with a quick ratio pitman and idler arm... If these need replacing, they will probably have to be purchased seperately.

·
Registered
771 Posts
bob, the other night in the chat the use kalkake showed a link that had a whole suspension kit for 1500$ you might want to pm and have him send u the link for it, it looked real nice for the price his user name on the vmf is kalkake to

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
well, now, hold on there big fella!!! *G*

how bad is your suspension? you need to do a complete survey/inspection. I mean, if those are the original control arms and they only need bushings, keep the original arms and put in new bushings, likewise, with upper and lower ball joints. You also need to make the decision if you want go back to stock with rubber components or upgrade to the stiffer, more track oriented urethane pieces. Also, are you talking COMPLETE makeover, ie springs? Lotz of things to consider, the least of which is your primary driving application, ie all street, street/track, etc.....

randy

·
Premium Member
7,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's mostly bushings that are dried out and gone... I will do a complete inspection and report back.

You make an excellent point.

-bob

·
Registered
923 Posts
Bad rubber and worn out was the problem with my sons car.
But by the time I got the suspention, or should I say CUT the suspention off, I didn't want to deal with the old rusted crap.
I bought the Canadian Mustang, now American Pony "Real Big Kit"
The kit was the cheapest way to go

www.canadianmustang.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=BigRed2001&Product_Code=OUR+REAL+BIG+KIT%21&Category_Code=Real+big+kit

The quality was great, however I did not install the rear sway bar it is difficult to fit and I just did not bother.
If you doing a concours restoration I'm not sure about its "exactness"
Dave

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,195 Posts
You know me, normally I'd say Canadian Mustang "Real Big Kit", but this is a Shelby (monks chant in background) and therefore might take a different approach (monks now chanting with cash register bells accompanying). You'll have to take this up with the likes of CT or Speegle or Laurie or Bossman, this is beyond the ken of mere mortal men (monks chanting louder, cash register drawers slamming open and closed, lightning flashes!)/forums/images/icons/laugh.gif

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
It appears to me you aren't doing a full on THOROUGHBRED concours resto,, I'd use high quality repro control arms(detailed to oem look) and install the stock springs, in the rear i'd use the best leafs I could buy(NPD OEM's) and refinish them to OEM look and use rubber instead of urethane because you aren't gonna be competively auto crossing the car then it will ride descent and perform as well as the day it left ole' CS

·
Registered
2,596 Posts
Will the car be a concours piece?

From what I know about you, Bob, the car will be driven and will probably see some track time, too. After all, that is what Carroll has repeatedly said they were built for...

If retaining a stock appearance is a criterion, then I would suggest you pull the original pieces - clean and store them. Replace them with a Big Kit from Canadian Mustang. The parts are concours correct (according to the ads, anyway), and lifetime guaranteed. The nifty Midolyne bushings are a bonus.

The kits are available directly from Canadian/American Pony or Laurel Mtn Mustang. The price is right, the quality is comparable to the original (better bushings, though) and you can always go back to the original pieces if you want to at some later date.

·
Registered
1965 2+2 Vintage Burgundy A-code C4
4,195 Posts
Glenn is right on the money(monks looked confused in the background), but IF you are gonna track the car a little, why not box those arms before you install them, you know, like 'ol Shel would have done!/forums/images/icons/wink.gif

·
Registered
536 Posts
I have to throw in the dissenting opinion. The parts in the Big Kit are not very concourse quality. The upper arms and lowers are middle of the road quality. The swaybar brackets and endlink parts are cheaply stamped from flat galvaneal. The "milodyne" bushing quality is also middle of the road quality. They are simply hi-density thermo injected plastic.

When I started my complete suspension rebuild I ordered the "bushing kit" from Canadien and ended up sending it back. The bushings did not fit well, some were mis-formed during the injection molding process. One of the strut bushings actually started to split while installing it. When that happened I sent it all back.

A friend, dis-regarding my experience, ordered the famous "big kit" and the bushings look the same way mine did. Some are mis-formed or not filled out all the way. He has yet to install the kit and is undecided on what to do.

I am not knocking Canadien Mustang parts because most VMF'rs here have voiced good experience. Just voicing my experience, I do think if you have a DD'r they are a good, relatively inexpensive option considering how much you get for your money. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 11 of 11 Posts