Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have any recomendations on suspension components? I have been looking into different options for my 67 fastback and have come to the following conclusions. TCP stuff looks great, but is now priced out of my budget. Global West stuff looks nice, but their prices aren't much better than TCP. Rod & Custom has that nice coil over rack and pinion setup, but I don't know if I want to cut up my car that much. Are there any other options out there I haven't found?

Thanks,

Brian aka hecubus

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
other than that there's not much, basically just different variations of the stock stuff

if i had the money id go mustang 2 front suspension

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the car bing built for? Daily Driver? Open Track? Weekend Crusier?

That will help these guys to steer you in the right direction.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good point. Since my 67 is too far from original I'm planning to build it up as a subtle restomod. I'm willing to sacrifice ride for performance so I was looking into the more performance oriented suspension companies over stock styled suspension. In the end it will probably be more of a weekend car that I can take out and tear up the back roads with.

Thanks,

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
There's a lot you can do to help out the weak design of the stock Vintage Mustang that won't break the bank. On my '66, I have 1" lowered 620# springs, 1" Aadco sway bar, export brace and monte-carlo bar. No, I'm not going to keep up with someone with the $ of a TCP system on twisty roads, but it does pretty nice, still.

Went on a cruise through some of the California mountains last weekend with a group of Mustangs. The only car in the group that could walk away from me on the curves was the Sunbeam Tiger that was with us. Maybe the 2001 Convertible in front of me wasn't trying too hard, but I was safely staying on his butt at 45-70mph as we made it through the curves.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
From what I have read on this board so far. It does no look like you will be needing new upper and lower control arms. You should look into doing the Shelby drop and adding the 620 springs and heavy sway bar. From what I have read this should make the car handle very well. Plenty of grip for tearing up the streets. /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
I had the same questions a while back. I went to the track and looked
at the real Shelbys that run in the vintage racing. They all have stock
or modified stock parts. You can make a lot of your own stuff if you have
a welder and some time. Like johnpro, I have stock A-arms on my car. For
a weekend car I would stay with the stock parts. I run with the cars that
have the TCP and Global west stuff, it's not worth the price in my opinion.
If your racing for money, than it's worth it. You can do a lot to the the stock
parts to make them stronger and give the suspention better geometry.
The spindel doesn't care what it's bolted to. If it moves the right way,
your car will handle well. It doesn't take a lot of money to make it happen.

Sway bars, shocks, and springs will make a big change to the car. I run a
1 1/8" front and 7/8" rear sway bar. I make my own rear springs out of
several sets of stock springs, the front springs are from a big block station
wagon. Swap meets and wreaking yards can save a lot of dollars.

If you put on bigger sway bars, stiffer springs, new shocks, performance
tires, and poly everything, you will be happy with the car. Just my opinion.

I'll be glad to help more if I can:

John

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I'll second what everyone else has said: in a nutshell, go with bigger sway bars, stiffer springs, better shocks, more rubber and poly bushings. Also, subframe connectors will do wonders for the car: it actually feels like a single piece instead of multiple pieces twisting around some sheet metal. Some extra bracing under the hood is also helpful for tightening up the car (export brace and monte carlo bar or the TCP strut kit or the one piece unit from Maiers Racing).

If you don't have disc brakes up front, that is definitely a must as well (really helps your confidence when you dive into a turn!).

If you really want to go for it, do the Shelby drop (don't do the stock alignment, there are other specs for this mod), and get some boxed A arms.

I also wanted to go the TCP route, and I do have a few pieces of their high quality hardware. However, I've had the car out at Road Courses a couple of times (going to Sears Point in a few weeks!!) and I absolutely love it! I'm now glad that I saved my money to do other things. At some point maybe I'll be good enough to be able to have the TCP stuff actually make a difference in my driving, but for now, I'm having a blast and learning a ton!

Mustangs Plus has some nice components that work well together...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts