Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbie, i just bought a 66 Coupe, and i'm looking at getting the TCP rack and pinion and the TCP coilover conversion. Are these worth the money? Are there better options out there? also... what is a shelby drop? I keep reading about it, but i'm not sure what it is...

Thanks,

·
Premium Member
11,703 Posts
Are the TCP products worth the money? That's kind of a personal opinion thing, but I'd have to say "yes".

Are there better parts out there? Different, yes. Better, possibly, but I have not seen them.

You could accomplish the same result with the Mustang II conversion, with less cash outlay, but that is a weld-on solution, which is what I wanted to avoid when I did mine.

The Shelby drop is a modification to the location of the upper control arms that changes the geometry so that the tires make better contact in turns. It also lowers the front end about .5 inch, but that is not the intent.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is the Shelby drop part of TCP's Coilover conversion then?

·
Registered
2,109 Posts
Coil over suspension is HARSH. Unless you plan to race the car seriously your better off with stiff spings and good shocks. The shelby drop is a matter of relocating a couple holes to change the suspension geometry. With the total control kit i think you can do a 1.5 inch drop rather than 1 inch drop if you go with there replacment A-Arms. but once you do the 1" drop you can't do the 1.5" drop due to the poximity of the holes.

the RC Motorsports is a mustang II suspension. With this setup there is no cuck ting as a shelby drop.

There was a post about fatman fabricators going to make a bolt one late model mustang conversion.

You could also just do the shelby drop with the stock components, getter better springs and shocks and a tight ratio gearbox for a whole lot less money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts