Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my shocks and struts. The majority of what I've seen were Monroe, KYB and even Scott Drake. Not sure about Scott Drake products yet but is one better than the other or are they all made in Singapore or China?

·
Registered
34,195 Posts
No struts on a Mustang made before 1979.

IMHO, best shocks out there... Koni's (adjustable and rebuildable). Bilstein's next on the list. KYB's so-so... you buy cheap you get cheap. No experience with S-D but my guess is that it's a relabeled Chinese import. Monroe? Yeah....nope.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

IMHO, best shocks out there... Koni's (adjustable and rebuildable). Bilstein's next on the list. KYB's so-so... you buy cheap you get cheap. No experience with S-D but my guess is that it's a relabeled Chinese import. Monroe? Yeah....nope.
I think there is a set of Monroes on there now but not sure how long. I've been happy with the Bilsteins on my Tacoma so far, didnt know they made ones that fit classics.

·
Registered
603 Posts
Call John at https://opentrackerracing.com or Shaun at Street or Track LLC for Bilsteins. They're both great vendors that have Bilsteins for our old mustangs and they're both great to work with.

It really seems as if there's no middle ground for shocks for our cars. Either cheap parts store shocks that ride like cheap parts store shocks, then the next step up is Koni or Bilstein. I will say that I think the Bilsteins are worth the price.

·
Supporting Vendor
3,961 Posts
Are these the street Koni's that everyone is issuing?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kon-8250-1030/year/1966/make/ford/model/mustang

I'm replacing the factory shocks on a '66 v8 coupe but not running it hard. My only other question is does the non adjustable shock really make a (bad) difference?
The non adjustable is not a bad shock. What makes a bad shock in my opinion is the valving. I believe the 50yr old style valving that a lot of the shocks have make the old cars drive like an old car. We have found that when you put a shock with modern valving on an old car, it drives more like a newer car. The non adjustable Bilstien shocks are an example.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Thanks Opentracker.

While doing the shock upgrade, What do I need to do in order to level the car up a little. I don't want it absolutely level but just a little.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Interesting. I just went to Bilstein's website and put in 1966 Ford Mustang Base car in their find products for your car and it says "Sorry we could not find any results".

I'll most likely be calling somebody tomorrow. Not sure If I want Koni or Bilstein. It seems it's a Coke vs Pepsi type conversation.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts

these are the three best shocks out there for the early cars. and i prefer them in the order listed as well.

The non adjustable is not a bad shock. What makes a bad shock in my opinion is the valving. I believe the 50yr old style valving that a lot of the shocks have make the old cars drive like an old car. We have found that when you put a shock with modern valving on an old car, it drives more like a newer car. The non adjustable Bilstien shocks are an example.
spot on. the nice thing about adjustable shocks is the ability to tune them to track conditions easily. but non adjustable shocks work quite well also.

·
Registered
270 Posts
these are the three best shocks out there for the early cars. and i prefer them in the order listed as well.
For the Koni, where is the best place to get them. I saw on Open Tracker, but those are Racing. I just need a good shock for the street. I like the price of the non adjustable Koni but I will pay for the adjustable street. I didn't see Koni street at Open Tracker nor Street or Track. They both seem to be mainly Bilstein.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
I got QA1 non adjustable based on using them in circle track. They’ve got a single adjustable as well. I have Bilstein off road on the Ranger and had Bilsteins on the Spec Miata. I see too much emphasis on shocks on VMF rather than the suspension as a whole. I’d rather have a couple of spring rates than an adjustable shock (not to be confused with different valved non adjustable shocks) Spring rate, ride height and corner weights are going to make a bigger difference in handling than a shock alone. Shocks control the rebound of the spring which is an important part but not one that’s the most important, or even dictates handling more than the other parts. I can have custom valved Penske or Ohlins but it won’t matter a tinker’s damn If I have worn, broken/bent or poor quality suspension parts or if the valving isn’t right for my springs.

I’d say for 9 out of 10 here at VMF won’t be able to tell an adjustable shock from a non adjustable or even the different valving. Though 7 of those 9 will argue they can. For you driver guys with stock suspension get a good non adjustable shock and make sure the rest of your suspension is up to spec. If you are really into performance unless you want to be swapping springs at the track coil overs are the way to go. At that point the adjustability of the shock will be more advantageous because you’ll also be tune the parameters that will help you get the most out of the car. As long as your shocks are valved right you won’t miss adjustable shocks. If you’re cruising around or just occasionally beating on it you’ll be fine with a quality non adjustable. Keyword quality as in somewhere around $100 or so.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Looking to replace my shocks and struts. The majority of what I've seen were Monroe, KYB and even Scott Drake. Not sure about Scott Drake products yet but is one better than the other or are they all made in Singapore or China?
If it's in the budget look at Viking Shocks. Made in Minnesota, very high quality, double adjustable too.

·
Registered
20,239 Posts
I got QA1 non adjustable based on using them in circle track. They’ve got a single adjustable as well. I have Bilstein off road on the Ranger and had Bilsteins on the Spec Miata. I see too much emphasis on shocks on VMF rather than the suspension as a whole. I’d rather have a couple of spring rates than an adjustable shock (not to be confused with different valved non adjustable shocks) Spring rate, ride height and corner weights are going to make a bigger difference in handling than a shock alone. Shocks control the rebound of the spring which is an important part but not one that’s the most important, or even dictates handling more than the other parts. I can have custom valved Penske or Ohlins but it won’t matter a tinker’s damn If I have worn, broken/bent or poor quality suspension parts or if the valving isn’t right for my springs.

I’d say for 9 out of 10 here at VMF won’t be able to tell an adjustable shock from a non adjustable or even the different valving. Though 7 of those 9 will argue they can. For you driver guys with stock suspension get a good non adjustable shock and make sure the rest of your suspension is up to spec. If you are really into performance unless you want to be swapping springs at the track coil overs are the way to go. At that point the adjustability of the shock will be more advantageous because you’ll also be tune the parameters that will help you get the most out of the car. As long as your shocks are valved right you won’t miss adjustable shocks. If you’re cruising around or just occasionally beating on it you’ll be fine with a quality non adjustable. Keyword quality as in somewhere around $100 or so.
Very well well said. Back when I was making that jump from my Monroe Matics to something more in line to the capability of my suspension's ability GT289 had mentioned to me previously about Viking. He wasn't recommending them to me but rather in a casual conversation about a new shock on the market competing with QA1. So now this shock is buzzing through my mind about a new wiz bang product. Having these high end shock would really be something. Then back to reality. What do I know about tuning shocks? I'd be better off with something where someone a lot smarter then I had worked out settings for my suspension which were the SoT Bilsteins. All I can say is I saved a lot of money not buying the Vikings or any other shock in that league. Would I be able to desseminate a Koni, or QA1 or Vikings, probably not. What I got was a shock with valving designed to work with my suspension at a reasonable price that works well. I'm glad I did the smart thing.

·
Registered
1,709 Posts
What I got was a shock with valving designed to work with my suspension at a reasonable price that works well. I'm glad I did the smart thing.
That’s the value add for the SoT Bilstein. It’s a proven product that is setup for use in these cars. That’s why they aren’t in the Bilstein master catalog, they are valved for this app. Compared to a lot of performance vehicles today these cars are sleds. My gear was worn from being original and so bad I couldn’t tell what did what after I replaced it other than it was much better. I’d say that perhaps with as stiff as it is I may need less resistance on the bump (tie down for you dirt trackers) but then I’d be one of those 7 guys arguing about shock performance when that may not solve what I feel. I’ve around 1k miles in the car and most of that with beat suspension. Not enough time or in a formal enough setting where I can tell (and know) what is doing what. But it’s light years ahead of the 50 year old bits I took off it.

·
Registered
10,086 Posts
Sorta surprised to see the KYB get any kinda goodish review here. They come in different flavors GR2 and Gas a Just. The GAJ is a pretty stiff shock it's what I have, on a good road the ride is good on a bad road in a light car the ride is not so good. The KYB GR2 is a stock replacement ,I bought a set of lightly used GR2 for the back but haven't put them in yet,kinda waiting till I get the battery back there.I have a few miles of seat time in Huskihano's car with his S or T suspension and Bilsteins his car rides nice either good road or not

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NSwBro7HTn4" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Funny how the simple 'what shock' question goes down the racing rabbit hole nearly every time. I understand people are passionate about their interests. I will simply add KYB's don't suck and are probably the most bang for the cheap buck on a cruiser. If you want to seriously race, the cost of Bilsteins or Konis is in the noise.

·
Registered
2,743 Posts
For the Koni, where is the best place to get them. I saw on Open Tracker, but those are Racing. I just need a good shock for the street. I like the price of the non adjustable Koni but I will pay for the adjustable street. I didn't see Koni street at Open Tracker nor Street or Track. They both seem to be mainly Bilstein.
summit racing should have the shocks you are looking for. they carry a ton of manufacturers stuff. so much in fact that it is hard to narrow things down so you dont have to sort through 10,000 parts. they do have filters to help narrow down what you are looking for.

·
rdnck1
210 Posts
I have a set of new Koni's that I'm not using yet. Decided to go with bilstiens. If you put your general location in your profile, I would probably let them go cheap, otherwise shipping would probably eat up any cost savings you would get online. They'll wait for the next project otherwise. Jim

1 - 20 of 35 Posts