Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I replied to a CL ad for a weighted-action Yamaha keyboard. The asking price was $350 OBO. I offered $220. I received a reply in short order stating that, "I would accept $220.00 US Dollars in cash."

What other kinds of dollars are there in Atlanta?? Could it be that they replied with a phone that auto-completed their reply?

What does this kind of answer indicate? My scam-senses are tingling but I would sure like to buy the keys.

·
Registered
2,108 Posts
Maybe they are from another country originally or had some doofus offer them some other currency...?...ask them for some additional pictures or some other relevant info and see what type of response you get.

·
Registered
8,913 Posts
They probably just mean that the don't want a check or money order.....That's all. Craigslist is full of people sending fake checks and fake money orders...It's rampant. Apparently, Lots of people (Crook Low-Life Losers) don't care about breaking Federal Banking laws and U.S. Postal Mail Fraud unfortunately.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
3,216 Posts
Maybe like firstcar said, and numerous others have mentioned before about online sales, they guy has had his fill of shady offers and is just cutting to the point loud and clear.

·
Registered
1,759 Posts
Tell them you will bring cash and where can they meet you in person to make the deal. Maybe suggest a meeting place (like a walmart parking lot) that's convenient to you. If it's an offshore scam, it will become clear when they start giving reasons why they can't meet you anywhere in person.

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
That sounds like an automated reply- I've bought enough on Craigslist that I really don't trust hardly anyone. You just have to reply back asking some questions until you feel comfortable that it's legitimate.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Tell them you will bring cash and where can they meet you in person to make the deal. Maybe suggest a meeting place (like a walmart parking lot) that's convenient to you. If it's an offshore scam, it will become clear when they start giving reasons why they can't meet you anywhere in person.
Or the parking lot of the local Police Department.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
In my experience, reading comprehension is a moving target among CL buyers. Specify the obvious and eliminate one more "problem buyer". If in doubt, meeting at the police station for the exchange is another way to protect yourself.

·
Registered
801 Posts
IMHO, that message doesn't sound shady or weird to me at all. People with rubber checks and Paypal scams abound. Sounds like they just want to do real business in a fair manner, to me. If you're sensible about where you meet, I doubt you'll have trouble.

It's a keyboard, not ancient Persian artifacts or drug paraphernalia. I don't envision guys slinking around with shades and overcoats, whispering "Wanna buy a keyboard?" and then pulling a gun. =)

·
Registered
1,949 Posts
Unless it runs on batteries, it might be a good idea to have a place you can plug it in.

If I ever sell anything on either CL or Offerup again. I will have to be explaining what cash only, as-is, where-is, a pair, and a few other things that many people seem to have a problem with understanding these days.

Russ

·
Premium Member
10,763 Posts
I have sold a few items on CL and always specify U.S. cash only. No bitcoin , no paypal. You will know when you show up with U.S. cash. Btw there are people in cali with pesos.

·
Registered
8,476 Posts
Keep in mind that "215 Friendly" also applies to barter transactions and is thus considered by some as "currency".

·
Premium Member
5,698 Posts
Keep in mind that "215 Friendly" also applies to barter transactions and is thus considered by some as "currency".
Hah! Where I am there are any number of inner city beater drivers around who you just know have never been to the mountains west of here.
But somehow they manage to scrape up the extra 25 bucks a year to sport these license plates: :wink:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Atlanta is famous for Nigerian scams.

Keep stringing the seller along but do not part with cash unless it is face to face and you are armed.

Im in Stockbridge and Austell every Saturday morning, arrange a meeting and I will back you up.

·
Registered
1,767 Posts
I was looking for a puppy 2-3 years ago, and found scammers on legit puppy sites. They have a listing in one place which is nearby, but when you contact them, they had to move somewhere across the country for work/family, but they'll ship you the puppy. Nope, not happening. People who fall for those things shouldn't be allowed to have a puppy. Ran into 3 of those in about a month.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I replied to a CL ad for a weighted-action Yamaha keyboard. The asking price was $350 OBO. I offered $220. I received a reply in short order stating that, "I would accept $220.00 US Dollars in cash."

What other kinds of dollars are there in Atlanta?? Could it be that they replied with a phone that auto-completed their reply?

What does this kind of answer indicate? My scam-senses are tingling but I would sure like to buy snaptube telegram web the keys.
Have you checked your spam filter/folder with gmail? Make sure you NEVER use gmail's "report spam" for any messages that were relayed by craigslist, as this will train gmail to consider ALL craigslist emails as spam. Instead, use the "flag unwanted messages" link that craigslist provides near the bottom of each such email.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts