Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone give me some hints what to look for on an 84 SVO. Didn't they have a "Competition" model also? What did that entail?

·
Registered
2,340 Posts
There is a lot of debate on the "Comp Prep" model for '84, with the general belief that there was no such option. In '84, you could pick and choose what options you wanted, and could thus get manual windows, no A/C, or no radio by skipping the options. As these are the deletes that made up the later formal "Comp Prep" package, many of the '84s are sold as being "Comp Prep's", even though the option didn't exist. Later models ('85, '85.5, and '86) came with a standard package of options that included A/C, power windows, and AM/FM/Cassette stereo, and thus required selection of a "Comp Prep" option to delete the stuff.
Points to look for on SVO's are front end damage, missing parts, and rust. The door panels, nose piece, and nose piece support are fairly tough to come by. Seats can be redone with an aftermarket leather kit, but a lot of people are parting the cars out as they can get more for them parted out than whole. Its a shame, but . . .
If you have more questions, e-mail me direct at [email protected] I'll be out for a couple of hours, but I'll get back to you as soon as I can.

Carl

·
Banned
925 Posts
When I bought my 84 SVO new in November 1984 there was already word on the street (or more accurately Road&Track, Motor Trend, etc) that there was a competition prep option and I remember asking about it at the dealer. I cannot say that I ever saw a CP car during the year-model 1984, nor was the dealer very informative (as usual). There was also a rear bi-wing delete opton so that's something to look out for. The early 84 SVOs had slapper bars on the rear, later in the model year they went to the Koni quad shocks. Of course, you'll want to verify that the Konis and Onion Head mounts are on the front. Also, check the front lower control arms for wear at the ball joint. There is a button on the ball joint and a depth measurement there to show the amount of wear on the joints; also check the grease seals. Those lower control arms are very rare and expensive so you want to make sure any prospective car has good ones. All the driving lights, nose and trim pieces, many interior pieces, and of course the engine are unique to the SVO and should be verified. Make sure and check the condition of the leather steering wheel and shift knob - these are high wear and often abused. Replacements are expensive, I recently saw a NOS shift knob bid up to $151 on zbay and not make reserve! There have been many SVOs on zbay lately, anywhere from $2k - 7k. A local used car lot recently had a dog of an 85 SVO on the lot for $6700 and it sold fairly quickly. I would be happy to give you more information and you can also check these sites: www.mustangsvo.org and www.svoca.com

1 - 3 of 3 Posts