Vintage Mustang Forums banner

Swap meet score

1415 Views 26 Replies 19 Participants Last post by  sheza65
First five minutes here (turkey rod run) found this, paid $20 for it
Car Hood Motor vehicle Trunk Automotive design
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
152 Posts
Kind of off topic but for the guys who went to the Columbus show, how did you find it? I thought it was smaller than before and the prices were kind of high for some of the lets say, "less than stellar parts"

· Registered
1966 T code coupe
950 Posts
Kind of off topic but for the guys who went to the Columbus show, how did you find it? I thought it was smaller than before and the prices were kind of high for some of the lets say, "less than stellar parts"
I went but it's been years since last time. A long time vendor told me it looked pretty thin. I went on Saturday. And he said the spring meet is going to be in 1 building.
Overall I thought it was ok. I guess I set my expectations too high. I was thinking whatever I needed I'd probably find it there. My biggest find was an original used front valance for my 66. Pretty nice shape. I paid 60 for it. I saw a passenger fender which I don't really need but a nicer one would be good also. It was in bare metal, surface rust all over it, a few spots with bondo and I saw the 300.00 price on it and turned the other way. I'm glad I went but I doubt I drive a couple hours again for it.

· Registered
8,191 Posts
How does one damage a hood like that? Did it fly up at speed?
Or have someone hold the hood open while you adjust the hinges and tell them, "Push up on it a little harder". Yes, I've been there.

· Registered
1,477 Posts
Or have someone hold the hood open while you adjust the hinges and tell them, "Push up on it a little harder". Yes, I've been there.
Well, what is odd to me is, under all the bondo, my 1965's hood had a similar crease on the passenger side. Stripping the car I found dents on the passenger side roof at the A pilar (more or less). I know what happened in that case, but I don't know how it happened. Unless, it was related to the repaired driver's apron & shock tower that were brazed back together. I can only say, I know why that hood & the replaced apron are no longer on the car...It was my fault.

And to not totally derail this thread. The first replacement was from a $100 rusted car I bought & drove a couple years. I eventually swapped hoods, took a few other parts, and then sold it for $500. My replacement, replaced hood (yes twice) was only $45 in 2010 or so...And for the record: not my fault.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts