Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1966 mustang coupe, 289 V8
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have original seats in my 66 coupe, but I was thinking about swapping the front two for bucket seats. I'm a taller guy at 6'4" so could use some more leg room and I saw a suggestion about changing the seats to get some. Any comments or suggestions on this?

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I’ve used late model mustang seats in 2 of my cars....research, there are many threads on this. From seat swaps, to seat track extenders, to seat riser or headliner modifications. Lots to read.

Reactions: Justxaj

·
Registered
70 Posts
I’ve used late model mustang seats in 2 of my cars....research, there are many threads on this. From seat swaps, to seat track extenders, to seat riser or headliner modifications. Lots to read.
What year seats did you use as I am thinking of doing the same in my 68 coupe
GC

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
I’ve got a pair of leather seats from a 98 vert. I had to drill 2 new holes in seat bottom for the early seat tracks to attach. I also have some cloth buckets from a 88 I think. Same deal on using vintage seat tracks. I’m working on using the late model tracks with some mods....

·
Registered
2,102 Posts
I was 6’5” when I leather wrapped a set of Fox body seats for my 68. I also made up a set of seat extenders for Fox seat rails which already have a couple of more inches of travel.
Still lots of Fox seats available.p, even the newer Mustang seats can be made to fit quite easily.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The problem with the retrofit is the cost to reupholster fox seats. Upholstery and buns can run over 1100 bucks easily. Plus the cost of purchase and it is getting very costly. If you can find the correct color, good upholstery, and cheap...grab them.

·
Dimples
4,355 Posts
Fox body and SN95 (94-04) seats are quite a simple swap.

Also, one of the most attractive and also retro late model Mustang seats are those from the 2001 Bullitt. Unfortunately they're rare as hen's teeth and expensive when you do find them. Fortunately, TMI makes Bullitt upholstery with included pre-installed seat foam that can go right on top of any SN95 seat frame/foam, including the V6 (which are plentiful and practically free), and it's available in a variety of colors and even better, they're available in vinyl.

Here's a link to them on CJ (because the website is more squared away on this part), but I think NPD may sell this item too, and if so, that's who I'll buy from for my daughter's car.

·
Registered
1,905 Posts
Fox body and SN95 (94-04) seats are quite a simple swap.
just gotta be mindful of what sn seats you use. i'm 6'2" and had 95 GT seats in my 66, way to tight without swapping the steering wheel for a smaller diameter, or lowering the pan.

·
Registered
4,457 Posts
The trick to seats and tallness is the thickness of the base. Its hard to find a seat that sits as low as a stock seat and its real easy to end up with your head in the headliner. I found some E21 Ricarros that were very thin and slammed them downward with cross mounts (need some "persuasion" with a 5 lb sledge on the seat pan to get that last inch) and stock sliders. Bought me a few inches for helmet room. I am 6'.

Couple of things you can do; lower brake and clutch pedals an inch - not easy but doable. Space the steering wheel towards you an inch. I made a wood spacer, bondo'd the surface and painted it to match, nobody has ever spotted it. Redril the mounts on the slider rearward I think I did 1.5 inches. WIth a smaller diameter steering wheel I am perfectly comfortable now! I didn't have to go so far as to lower the pan. THat said, I wouldn't call the seats excessively comfortable or coushy, they are performance seats...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts