Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to search, but did not find anything pertaining to swapping in a newer internally regulated alternator.. I already have the Generator to-old style alt conversion infor for my 64.5, but since I am running the efi 302 I want to use the 88 alternator, and I need a wiring diagram on what needs swapped..
Thanks for any help/links!

·
Registered
172 Posts
A few years ago I swapped my generator for an alternator using a M.A.D. enterprises kit. I am not sure if they are still around but they might be able to help.

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
AMK sells this regulator or complete "sportsman" alternator.

http://amkproducts.com/images/SportRear.jpg

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
If you do the gen-to-alt mods first and then swap to a single-wire alternator there should be no additional conversion involved.

Just take out the old alt and hide the wires. Then install the new alt with it's one wire hooked up to the positive side of the solenoid and you are done. If you have an amp meter it will not work. A volt meter will be quite happy though.

If you purchase the alt from PowerMaster it will come with instructions on how to wire it into your system with three wires too, which would allow your amp meter to work as well.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I swapped the Ford externally regulated alternator for a GM internally regulated alternator in my 70 Mach 1 and am very happy with it. Ford alternators are crap compared to GM. I have the article out of Hot Rod that I used for the conversion. If you are interested, I can scan it and e-mail it to you.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Keep in mind that with an internally regulated alternator, if either part fails you get to replace both. In other words, in the regulation device fails, you buy an entire alternator. I wouldn't really say GM alternators are superior to Fords. Many late model GM's a well known in the aftermarket parts industries as being a gold mine in that area. I've had my Mustang for 25 years without a single alternator problem. Rebuilt it myself 5 years ago for the heck of it, not because it needed it.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting statement. In the many years I was in the parts business I wll say by experience you are wrong on that one.
I kept 12 GM integeral reg. alts in stock at all times. I kept 2 Fords. I never sold out of the Ford's but I would sell out of the GM's. I got daily deliveries from my supplier and still needed to keep that my GM alts in stock

·
Registered
537 Posts
I switched to an internally regulated alternator from a later mustang (89) earlier this year. It is a direct bolt on, you just have to change the pulley. As for the wiring I will make you a wiring diagram later tonight and take some pics today. PM me if you have any questions. It is really easy to do.

Jason

1 - 8 of 8 Posts