Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got 2 68 mustangs, one manual and one power steering. Is it possible to swap the manual gearbox for the PS one? I've been told everything from it wouldn't fit, to it would fit, but it wouldn't work properly. All i need it for is to be able to steer the car around the shop. Any advice is appreciated. ;)

·
Registered
10,406 Posts
The steering boxes interchange physically.

The only difference is internally with the power steering box having a faster ratio and that is a desireable difference.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Much, i appreciate it. Got a buddy thats trying to steal the manual box off of mine. Now that i know it will swap i can either offer him the PS box or let him have the manual. Since it will be some time before my car sees any active duty. :p

·
Registered
916 Posts
Not sure if this would affect you, but putting the PS box in with no other PS equipment might make it harder to steer. In my dad's Mach 1, the PO took the PS equipment off, and now its actually harder to steer than a manual box would be due to the different gear settings.

·
Registered
4,630 Posts
Yes a P.S. box will steer harder due to the lower gear ratio. However, it will steer quicker than a manual box.

Keep in mind that 65-66 Shelbys (& GT's too) had a manual box with the quicker ratio and the Shelby added a different Pitman and Idler arm to further quicken steering. That comes at the cost of additional steering effort.

I have a P.S. box in my car without any other P.S. equipment. It is fine, even with 225 x 60 front tires. However, I doubt my wife would like to parallel park with it. :D

1 - 5 of 5 Posts