Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a mint condition 67' coupe, with only one problem...a very sick 289/C4 under the hood, 250,000miles without an overhaul! It was my father's, but since I am the true car enthusiast, he has placed it in my capable hands. To the point, I also have a '73 Thunderbird, falling apart, but with an overhauled 460/C6 under the hood. What advice could you give this Ford newbie? (I race a '95 Camaro, tricked out LT1,
so don't shoot me, I know little of Ford swaps, alot about Chevy's). My goal is to swap the 460 engine into the Stang, and give the car back to my father, so that he can drive it with pride...not hiding behind black exhaust.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How about the clearance factor (I don't want to have to modify the hood on the Stang, like I would swapping a zz572 into my Camaro)? W ill it fit on current mounts, or will I have to get big block mounts designed specifically for the 67'? How about the C6, will it fit without any mods? Or, should I get a custom bell housing to fit the existing C4 from the 289? I'd like to leave the body, and most of the car as stock as possible, because my cousin does NASCAR engines in Jamestown, and he wants to build a custom 289 for this car over the next few years (he's busy as hell). The current 289 can't wait, it's sure to blow any day now. When/if the time comes, I want to be able to swap again.
Thanks for rthe tips so far.

·
Incorporated Sell Out
17,130 Posts
My brother ran a 429 in a 67 coupe.
He just needed to run a drop base air cleaner for it to fit under the hood.
IIRC the 429 it physically the same as the 460

·
Registered
680 Posts
Contact Crites Performance. They have a web site. They sell everything you will need to put the 460 in the '67.
I run a drop bottom breather on mine, and didn't have to cut the hood. I used Mach 1 428 front coil springs, and radiator. You need to find a '69 water pump. The snout is about 1" shorter than any other water pump. This helps with the radiator clearance. You also need to stay with a low intake manifold like a Elde. Performer for hood clearance.
If I can help you with anything else, my e-mail address is in my bio.
Good luck, and your dad will love it.....

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
One thing to think about ! 460s weigh about 100 pounds MORE than the 390/428s that these cars came with .Be sure and install a quick release anchor . ::

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have seen 720 lbs listed in several places as the 429 - 460 weight... here is one example... it sure felt like it in the 69 coupe I had way back when (especially when it was time to turn or stop)

PS - just noticed another site has both 640 & 720 listed, I still think it is 720 myself, but I've been wrong before... main thing I wanted to stress was loss of ride quality & handling.

Doug

·
Registered
204 Posts
I just sent out a complete 429. It weighed less than 700 lbs with power steering pump, alt. and torque converter. This engine had an alum. intake though that saves 40 lbs over cast iron.
As for the engine swap contact F.P.A. ( Ford Powertrain Accessorys) and they can set you up with shorty headers. They cost a little more but have excellent quality.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts