Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might be purchasing this 67 coupe with a 400hp 351 Cleveland. It's an automatic right now (A C4, or what I like to call the Slush-O-Matic). Are there any articles about how to put the whole clutch assembly in? Also, what would be the best transmission... Borg Warner T-10? Or, would it be difficult to put a Cobra Tremec 5-speed in there? Thanks!

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
cleveland... hrm....

id say go straight for tremec tko (2?)
if your even more made of money go for the t56 or richmond six speed

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
The T10 would disintigrate in the first power burn-out. It's only good to about 350 lf-pounds of torque. Your 351C puts out gobs more than that.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmmm... ok... what if I went with the FMX I have sitting in my yard?

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
I've just completed a C-4/toploader conversion on a 68 Cougar (Under the skin, same as a Mustang). My car has power brakes, so that made it a little more difficult....

Straightfoward, but time consuming making everything look as if the car came with a toploader.
The "gotchas" were;

1. Z-bar had to be modified to clear headers, pitman arm.
2. Pedal assembly had to be removed to access the brake pedal.
3. Carpet had to be replaced because the hole for the automatic shifter was larger than with the stick. (Cougar carpet, same as Mustang, BTW)
4. Booster and master cylinder had to be removed to access the Z-bar linkage.
5. Speedo cable enters the toploader from the opposite side than a C-4... Required a longer (80") cable from NAPA.
6. Hurst backup light switch not redily avalable.

Other specific problems I ran into when using a blowproof bellhousing, notching for clutch fork travel, indicating in pilot hole. etc....

Was it worth it? Hell yea!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Shaun (anotherVMFer) and I swapped out his C4 for my old Toploader this past winter: was much easier than I had anticipated. I put a T5 in my 67 and love it! If you don't already have a 4 speed, I would definitely recommend you investigate going to a 5 speed. I changed my rear gears to 3.55 and just love the snap it gave me (and, with a .63 fifth gear, I have long legs as well!).

1 - 7 of 7 Posts