Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me see if I've got this straight ---

I grab the brake pedal and use it like a lever to pull the old push rod out of the master cylinder - guess a mild come along with a rubber mallet might be ok.

Then I attach the adjustable replacement push rod to the pedal, insert it into the master cylinder and push down on the pedal until it is seated.

Sounds easy - what could go wrong?? What am I missing here? :rofl:

·
Premium Member
393 Posts
That's the way I did it on my 65 fastback. Converted to a dual master cylinder. Just pulled the old one out by hand, then slid the new pushrod right into place, and started the bleeding process. Good luck, Ron

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
a rebuilt master cylinder will come with the push rod either installed or loose in the box. If it was installed by the rebuilder, it will include a retainer clip. If this clip is present, pulling up the brake pedal will NOT drop out the rod from the m/c. While this technique is correct for factory m/c and m/c where the rod was installed without the clip, you are toast if the clip is present. You will have to pull the m/c and work like the dickens to get the rod out. I have never successfully removed a rod in those circumstances, at least to the point of being able to re-use the m/c. A sawzall, cold chisel, big sledge hammer and a couple hours of destroying the collar of the m/c is what worked for me.

good luck

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm not sure an adjustable push rod is important enough to mess up a perfectly acceptable dual master cylinder! Tomorrow I think I'll tug on the pedal but not with great determination. I guess I could cut the damn shaft of the present push rod with Dremel, thread the two ends and make it adjustable. What could go wrong? :chainsaw:

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
Sounds easy - what could go wrong??
You'll probably yank the valve out of the MC and the push rod will still be attached to it. Then it's time to go get a new MC. At least that's been my experience on all but '65/'66 MC's. The '65/'66 push rod does not use a retainer clip and you can just slide it out and re-used it to your hearts content.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks John. This MC is not original. Front discs are SSBC so I'm assuming the dual bowl MC is also an SSBC. None of the paperwork on the replacement made it to me. Maybe the best course of action is to delay and contact them.

I am encouraged that the push rod slips out on at least some MCs. Maybe I'll luck out in this case.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts