Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any pitfalls I may run into here? I may have a line on a package deal with the granda front end disc brake setup and a 9 inch rear with 3.50:1 gears. I have been looking for this setup for a while but want to make sure that I am not taking all into consideratin. I know I am going to have to swap the U bolts and brake lines, but what else may throw a wrench in all of this?

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A little more info. I am hopping up my I6 with the 250 2V from australia, I have zero decked the block, shaved .06 of the head, chaging to 264 cam, weber 38/38 carb, headers and dual exhaust with flow masters, 1.65 adjustable rocker assembly, and a T5 tranny from an 87 mustang 4 cylinder. Is the 3.50:1 gears a good match?

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
You will probably need a cross-yoke to hook up the rear drive line yoke (the cross yoke is a special sized u-joint...longer on two sides than the other to accomodate the wider yoke on the 9") to the 9" differential yoke. I needed to install the special cross yoke on my existing driveline for the 9" rear. Its a Federal Mogul "Precision U-Joint Cross Yoke" Part Number 372. Another reference number is 1093079-A on the box.

·
Registered
742 Posts
I'm guessing that your going to run these 3:50 gears with the newly installed V8(not the current six cyl)??? These gears are great for an AOD or T5 transmission. These gear can be fun around town, but are not very good Highway gears if using a C4 Transmission. Your RPM's will be kind of on the High side going about 70 MPH.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Rangoon,

No this is on a hopped up six. I did the engine up right with the Australian 250 2V head that has the seperate intake manifold. I was told time and time again that this was the real shortcoming of the I6, the integrated manifold that just wouldn't let the engine breath. On top of that head I am going to run either a holly 2b or weber 38/38. Im installing the exhaust port divider from clifford performance to alleviate the issues with uneven disposal of exhaust, coming out to clifford headers into an X pipe. From there I hope I can find a decent exhaust shop to custom fabricate some pipes to convert to dual exhaust with flow masters. The 264 cam has been reccomended to me as a safe swap that wont cause too much lope, and the some they may occur is worth dealing with for the extra gas intake. I do have a T5 tranny from a 87 mustang 4 cyl. I chose 4 cylinder for the lower gears off the line as I am all about 0-60 time. I wont be usin the highway too much in this ride so that is a non concern. I will talk to you soon and we will work this out.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
You could.. but why waste a 9 inch rear on a 6 cylinder? ::

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
I think 3.50:1 is a good ratio for an Aussie head 200. I'm working my way towards the same direction. I don't disagree with your desire to run with a 9" (hey, can't beat a 9) but I think a built 8" can take what a built up 6 can dish out. I hope so anyway since that is what I have!
Of course, if you decide to later adapt the cross flow head to the six, I think that 9 may come in handy! ;)

Happy Motoring!

Dean T

·
Registered
742 Posts
Sorry I was way of base on this one...If you add a little more this info to your bio we can better understand the direction your going with this car. I woud definately add the engine mods to into your bio.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
What's the 9" out of? If it's not out of a Mustang, you may run into wheel fitment issues, since it will be wider by about 2" than a stock 8" or 9" housing in a '65/'66. You'll need to make up the difference in more backspacing on your wheels to keep the tires in the wheel wells.

Obviously you'll have to hog out the holes on the shock plates to accommodate the larger u bolts (again assumming non '65/'66 Mustang rear here), or use '67/later style plates and modify them to fit.

IMHO, it's much easier to just swap in an 8" or 9" from a '65/'66 Mustang. It leaves all options open later.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts