Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Keeping my original 66 front sway bar and just received new bushings from NPD. Figured this would be easy but I don't see how to get these on. Seems no way the bushings will fit over the ends of the bar - the bushing are not split. I did search, no answer - feel like I must be the dope. Any thoughts? Thanks

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi,
I had the same problem with it. no lubricant and no heat didn't help. I've asked ndp and they have told me to cut it open.

peter

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
IF your doing a restoration I would not cut them. IF not a restoration the cuts will slightly effect how they work but you will likely not notice.

Might be the reproduction would nto eb the first time that one didn't work/fit as designed

·
Registered
70 Posts
I bought a set the other day for my 71 Ranchero. They were obligatory parts house bushings - they were already split right out of the box.

If you cut them - they should preform fine if everything is nice and tight. If you're doing a concourse restoration, then you shouldn't be installing poly bushings, and the rubber ones with some lubrication should slide on.

·
Registered
429 Posts
Since you're in the concours forum we'll assume you don't want to cut them. If you soak them in very hot water for 5 or 10 minutes they'll soften up. Blot the bushings dry, spray the interior of the bushing and the end of the sway bar liberally with silicone, and then they'll go.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts