Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any easy way to install sway bar and links (front) - should the car be in the air / on the ground - having problems lining up with the angle of the control arm.Thanks,Lee

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
I usually install swaybars with the front end supported (as it is on the ground)....it's easier, and there isn't any chance of "preloading" the suspension.

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's really doesn't matter. You cannot preload the suspension. Sway bar has a free vertical movement, and end-links have a central stud between bushings in sway and lower arm. If you lift the car the way that your bushings will sit in sway and arms properly, that is the best way.
If you have a car on the ground level, its hard to properly mount bushings, which in the future will cause premature wear on them.
Just 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
LeeR,

I find that supporting the suspension, as it would be on the ground, and using a large C-clamp works best for me. After putting the end link bolt through the lower a-arm Ioad it up with the bushings, washers and spacer I place the adjusting side of the clamp on the bolt head & the fixed end on the swaybar just off the hole. I tighten the C-clamp until I can thread the link though the sway bar with enough room for the bushing, washer and nut.

I like the polygraphite bushings best. And have had success using Energy Suspension's bushing lube to keep them quiet. I wrap my sway bars with teflon tape at the center bushings rather then using the lube. I have yet to try the greasable style.

Best of Luck,

Pat

1 - 4 of 4 Posts