Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what material is used to make a sway bar? I can file the sway bar that came off my 66 easy so it's not very hard. That also makes me believe its not a spring material. Any one know? Could one be weld together if it was broken, not that mine is? Or could you heat one up and reshape it? Which is some thing I was thinking of doing to make better clearances.

·
Premium Member
10,813 Posts
Just wondering what material is used to make a sway bar? I can file the sway bar that came off my 66 easy so it's not very hard. That also makes me believe its not a spring material. Any one know? Could one be weld together if it was broken, not that mine is? Or could you heat one up and reshape it? Which is some thing I was thinking of doing to make better clearances.
it also depends on the file. if the file is harder it will file off the metal. if the metal is to hard it will snap when bent. sway bars are not the hardness of a grade 8 bolt.

P

·
0 Posts
In general terms, it's a spring steel. It needs good elasticity, which comes from the material used and the heat treating process. It's a relatively low carbon steel, nothing like grade 8 bolts and such. It needs to be able to twist and return. The return is the trick and why the heat treating process is so finicky.

·
Registered
9,006 Posts
I had a similar conversation with the folks at Bill Stroppe for one of the VMF
members awhile back. They were the guys that fabbed the first GT-350 bars
for Shelby before Ford lined up a contractor and put a part number in their system.
Most of the metals used in sway bars can be heated and reformed. They then
would need to be re-heat treated. Should you somehow get the bar re-bent in all the
right places, it's unlikely you'd be able to correctly do the second process.
(There also is a possibility that the bar could be damaged during the re-bending
process)

ex-Global West GM
1991-1995

·
Premium Member
6,195 Posts
What is it that you are worried about clearances with? Maybe this can be addressed from a different angle. Could you tell and/or show us the whole scenario here?

·
Registered
35,281 Posts
Of course it's "spring material". Springs can be cut, filed, ground, machined, threaded, and anything else you can do to steel.

What you can't do is things that involve heat. I have straightened bent sway bars, but done it cold, in a press. Heating a spring or sway bar destroys the temper, and it's not a spring anymore. Torching or welding a spring or sway bar creates a "heat effected zone", and it will bend or break in the untreated area.

Sagged leaf springs can be re-arched, but the process is so involved it is rarely done on something as cheaply replaced as Mustang springs. You need to anneal them, then re-arch, then heat-treat them to regain temper.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts