Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, I have about had enough of this damn sway bar. I think i have it installed right but then it is now hitting the frame rail and seems like it is binding. How important is the sway bar, Its a cruiser no track time street car,
is it okay, safe to remove the sway bar, what are the consequences. Anybody running a street car without a sway bar?

·
Registered
4,006 Posts
You kiiiind of need the swaybar. It's important to maintain safe handling of your car.

Tell us how you're trying to install it.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the issue is it's binding . If I install it like pic 1,,, then its hitting the frame rail, if I. install like pic 2 it hits my strut rod and it lifted the front end 3 inches

Attachments

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Front

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
Are tightening it down with all four wheels on the ground?

·
Registered
10,931 Posts
I've seen multiple posts where guys had the same problem. In those cases, it was simply the wrong sway bar. Many of the aftermarket sway bars just don't fit as they should. Please post some pictures of the installed sway bar.

And no, under no circumstances should you drive a Mustang without a front sway bar. It's downright dangerous.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
the issue is it's binding . If I install it like pic 1,,, then its hitting the frame rail, if I. install like pic 2 it hits my strut rod and it lifted the front end 3 inches
Photo two (on the right) is correct.

If the bar lifts the car something is drastically wrong with the installation. It is impossible for a properly installed sway bar to lift the car in any way.

Since you will die in the car without the bar (not kidding, I snapped an end link bolt once and consider myself lucky to tell the tale), you need to re-install the bar, oriented as I said.

Here's the trick to install the bar with zero chance it will lift the front end- Install the frame bushings with the car sitting on the ground, no jacks at all. The end links will be easier to install on the ground, too, but the bushings are critical.

I don't see how the bar can be hitting the struts. Here's how it looks installed-

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've seen multiple posts where guys had the same problem. In those cases, it was simply the wrong sway bar. Many of the aftermarket sway bars just don't fit as they should. Please post some pictures of the installed sway bar.

And no, under no circumstances should you drive a Mustang without a front sway bar. It's downright dangerous.
Pics are posted above, but thi could be the problem, maybe its the wrong sway bar

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Photo two (on the right) is correct.

If the bar lifts the car something is drastically wrong with the installation. It is impossible for a properly installed sway bar to lift the car in any way.

Since you will die in the car without the bar (not kidding, I snapped an end link bolt once and consider myself lucky to tell the tale), you need to re-install the bar, oriented as I said.

Here's the trick to install the bar with zero chance it will lift the front end- Install the frame bushings with the car sitting on the ground, no jacks at all. The end links will be easier to install on the ground, too, but the bushings are critical.

I don't see how the bar can be hitting the struts. Here's how it looks installed-

thanks 22 this is exactly what i needed Mustang for dummies. If you notice in your first pic, the sway bar is super close to the strut rods. On my car The sway bar is right above the strut rods, I have the opentracker strut rods. If i pul down on the the bar 1/4 inch it hits the strut rods.
I was listening to forum advice and prbably shouldnt have. I have a 13/16 sway bar that fits a little bit better, this is a 1.25 (or something like that I heard bigger was better). However I have a export brace, monte carlo bar and subframe connectors i think i will be fine with the smaller sway bar which is still bigger than stock.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok Update number 1,,,, I went out and flipped the 1 inch sway bar, and it still fit like crap. So I reinstalled my GT Sway Bar, by the time i finished it was dark out and I have no headlights,,,, tomorrow i will take it for a test drive. I have a feeling this will be a long test drive... Ill keep you all updated

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,354 Posts
Ok Update number 1,,,, I went out and flipped the 1 inch sway bar, and it still fit like crap. So I reinstalled my GT Sway Bar, by the time i finished it was dark out and I have no headlights,,,, tomorrow i will take it for a test drive. I have a feeling this will be a long test drive... Ill keep you all updated
As long as it's a fun "long test" and you have enough gas, go for it! You can't go anywhere else with the coronavirus situation.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
so,,,, I took it out today and the car feels great, The new 3.50 gears feel great the car handled great. i think I finally have it at a place where everything else is cosmetic. The ride was fun and smooth no rattle no over heating . didnt get on the freeway et but for local street driving it was fun. This has been an amazing journey I am so glad that i did not give up and sell the car like I had thought about doing.

Reactions: indygta and tom991
1 - 16 of 16 Posts