Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got my new sway bar and control arm installed, but when attempting to install the hardware that connects the two they wouldn't line up. What am I doing wrong?

sway bar to control arm alignment 2.jpg

·
Registered
34,688 Posts
I have a "specialty tool" for those... Actually, it's an old Mopar torsion bar that I wedge under the subframe rail to push down on the swap bar to get the link bolt through the hole in the control arm. I usually do this with the control arm sitting on a jack stand at the ball joint or the front end up on ramps. Once you get one side done the other will be easier.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The engine is not installed. I thought about needing that weight to push the whole front end down. Just didn't seem like that would pull the sway bar mounting hole into alignment with the control arm hole, but I will go with the wisdom on this forum and hope that's all it needs. Found out the hard way that there is also no way for me to install my new shock absorbers for the same reason. Can't compress the spring enough for the shock to reach the mounting holes. Can't imagine the stress the spring puts on the shock trying to pull it apart when the engine is out. I guess shock manufacturers take that into account when designing the rod retaining clips or whatever they use to keep the shock from coming apart.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts