Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today was a good day. First, I removed the swaybar and then changed the oil on Trouble again. This time I used a normal size Motorcraft racing filter and Mobil 1 synthetic. I didn't mess up the floor this time, so I'm getting better at it. ::

Then, the moment of truth came--I installed the new swaybar. That was not fun doing it by myself. I came up with a new balancing act by holding the far end of the bar up with my leg while attaching the other end. It fell a few times so I banged my knee up pretty good, but eventually it worked. It was so nice to tighten up the endlinks and see that I had plenty of clearance for the oil filter. It's close, but there's about a half inch space between the filter and the swaybar and that's good enough for me. One problem finally solved, yippee! ::

http://www.tucsonpony.com/filter1.jpg

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, but it's not that new. The engine bay was painted about three years ago. It's an easy fix, and there are a few to fix. :(

·
Registered
3,179 Posts
Looks Great! I find using a floor jack helps when installing front sway bars. Had lots of practice with the dopey Fairmonts!

Now to slap it through some hairpin turns - LOL.

Happy Wrenching!

Dean T

·
Registered
9,104 Posts
Great job Laurie...another successful and fun Trouble day. ;) Banging up your knees is pretty painful, especially when you bump the very middle of your knee into the corner of a coffee table (or any sharp, knee-level corner) :eek:.

I always get jealous when I read your posts because it seems like you get much time to work on your cars :). I finally had a good day to work on my car. I got a new fuel line installed today. I bent my own line (not very pretty but it works) and installed a clear fuel filter. So, there is no jealousy here today. ;) ::

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh, I hate those coffee tables, too! :eek:

Since I'm working alone now on the car, I've set aside Saturday and Sunday afternoons to do that so I get about 8 to 10 hours in every weekend. It's not as much as I used to do when working with Chuck, but I'm still making progress and it's very self-satisfying. :)

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Laurie -

I'm glad it worked out finally and your installation looks just fine (adeqaute clearances) but I'm baffled at the installation problems you had.

Did you loosely attach one end of the sway bar to the LCA, then do the other side? In this manner, you don't need that "leg-out" balancing act which is hard to maintain (sway bars are heavy!). You can then finally attach to the unibody in the left and right spots and tighten things up.

·
Administrator
19,494 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I did the unibody attachments first because I couldn't hold it up high enough to do the end links first. It's a 1-inch bar and it is pretty darn heavy. At least my method finally worked. ::

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
front sway bars are fun huh :) i did mine and my gf's not too long ago lol .

·
Registered
3,900 Posts
Congrats on your sway bar. I really enjoy reading your posts, it's great to hear about women that aren't afraid to get their hands dirty and jump right in. Sounds like you are really gaining experience and knowledge.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts