Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
993 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I an thinking about upgrading my stock swaybar to an one inch bar. However I am pretty sure it will get in the way of the oil filter see a pic on it here. http://www.sunflower.com/~ariffel/swaybar.jpg
Question is how do I get around this? I really don't want to move the filter with one of those remote location kits, just more hoses and connections to cause problems. Some guy at Napa told me I could use a shorter filter, think it was off a 440 if memory server right. Anyone have a problem with this, and what did you do to get around it?
Thanks

·
Registered
564 Posts
I have seen the problem and the shorter filter did not work..we still had interference. IIRC the only way around this was a remote oil filter or keep the smaller sway bar.
We did not try this but sometimes there is a little play in the motor mounts. You might try that...
I wish I could have been more help.

·
Banned
4,774 Posts
The after market larger sway bars "listed" are not the same pattern as original big block units . My original 7/8" sway bar is 1 1/4" away from the oil filter , so how can adding 1/8" diameter cause it to rub on the filter ?
I have purchased and returned three in the last few years !

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
My sway bar rubbed on my oil filter too, (67 bigblock)
did a search at the parts store and found one that had a smaller dia. but the same threading, I think he said from a taurus?,
Try that.

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
A 90 degree adapter may help.....

Not trying to disparage......but when I put my Cleveland in, a 7/8" bar wasnt big enough anymore.

·
Registered
2,002 Posts
I have dealt with that problem and using a short filter and cheating the anti-roll bar to the passenger-side (thank you Camachinist ;)) has eliminated the problem; I have a 1 1/8" bar in the front.

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Perhaps going with a drag pack assembly would do the trick....

it bolts right on....and doesn't look donkey like the other filter relocation kits.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I have a 67 with a 390, i have the 1 1/8" bar. What i had to do was use the short filter and i made two aluminum blocks to lower my bar where it mounts to the car frame. Plus i cheated and slid the stab bar over to one side just a bit. I'd like more clearance but i probably have 3/4" now. What i really wanted is to use the big oil filter....more filtration, but oh well.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts