Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
with the extremes of climate here in milwaukee i'm always fighting rust under my cars due to moisture build-up. i'm guessing the moisture leaches out of the concrete floor? i've got an opportunity to build a new garage and was wondering if there was anything i can do regarding this short of climate controlling the garage environment. do you think a vapor barrier under the concrete slab would solve any intrusion?

thanks for the help,

nick

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Vapor barrier under the slab and epoxy paint the floor before you move anything in.

You have to let the concrete cure for quite some time before painting.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
My pal has a similar situation. He added an all weather carpet in his small garage, under which he he put a sheet of vizqueen / plastic as a vapor barrier. Dickson

·
Registered
59 Posts
A friend of mine built a new shop and used hot water heat in flexible hoses in the concrete to both heat the shop and has had no moisture problems. It is pricey, but nice to have a warm floor to lay on to work in Dec/Jan/Feb. Just a thought.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Same problem here in the UK. I am having my garage re-built and am putting in a damp course under the concrete slab (vapour lock) as well as in the brick wall foundations. Just to make sure I will be having a dehumidifier on 24 hrs a day to keep everthing dry.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
a new concrete floor takes a long time to finally dry completely, it will sweat for a couple seasons in our weather before its finally really dry.
i did steal an idea from a local fire dept ,who kept old antique fire trucks in part of the building....they used ceiling fans to keep air moving, this does work,..
the plastic is a good idea but the concrete has many gallons of water to dry out , i park my car on large sheets of a vynal like plastic and run the fans to move air.
in the spring time ,try to avoid opening doors only for short periods of time, the temp change will make the floor sweat a bunch.
if your gonna heat the garage .......never mind my info

1 - 7 of 7 Posts