Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 FB, v8 conversion in work. 66 SJ FB with unique mods made at LAX
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a month or so ago I fixed the leak that was coming in near the cowl thanks to everybody's help LINK. Fortunately, the cowl is in good shape.

It turns out there are two more leaks in his car that I need to fix. They both originate somewhere between the bottom of the windshield and the fender. I'm reasonably certain it's not the winshield weatherstrip. I can see exactly where it's coming from on the passenger side. The second photo pinpoints it. The water comes in down the side of the kick panel toward the interior of the car. This one needs to be fixed at the source. Photo attached...

The second leak may originate from the same place but I can see up there because its on the driver's side. The water comes in to the cockpit from the square hole on the kick panel. Photo attached.

For leak 1:
- Does anybody have a photo of what's on the opposite side of the leak? I don't recall seeing this when the panel was off.
- Thoughts of spraying copious amounds of flex seal in that area?

For leak 2:
- Should I find the source?
- The other option is to seal the square. If I went that route would it drain down the bottom or collect?

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!!!

IMG_3393.jpg
IMG_3392.jpg
IMG_3390.jpg

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
I found evidence of a leak down inside a kick panel once. It turned out the source was at the very top of the windshield behind the stainless trim. Water ran down between the "A" pillar and it's trim pad, then dumped from there. Don't rule out the highest possible point of entry, water seeks it's own level.

·
Premium Member
4,922 Posts
These cars were designed with a sense of adventure, built with a sense of urgency and sold so fast nobody thought they would last 50 years and more. They sure are fun to make last 50 more!!

Reactions: dh_66_fastback

·
Registered
2,280 Posts
I read your "LINK"... I'm still thinking it's a lower cowl issue. I haven't seen anywhere in your previous thread or this one where you've addressed it. If the drain holes in the lower cowl panel get clogged (like they always do) water collects around the hats and sooner or later the area around the hats rots through. I had no idea how bad my lower cowl was until I got the upper cowl panel off.
There are patch kits for 65-68. Not an easy job, but for most Mustang restorations it's a typical one that needs to be fixed, and fixed right. Cowl is structural and needs to be solid.
IMG_20150913_241020956_HDR.jpg

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
1,008 Posts
Is it just me or does your windshield seal look all brittle/breaking apart? I know that leaks travel down so it can be coming down from higher up.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
That area should be in the top back corner of the cowl so it really shouldn't get wet unless you're parked facing up hill. My car is way more rusted right there and it doesn't leak in normal rain.

Check that your hinges have sealer on them between the hinge and the body, otherwise water can leak in behind them. Also check on the antenna wire on the passenger side. The grommet can look ok and still have water leaking through it. The hinges and the antenna wire should be easy to check with a hose.

Last idea. How does that area under the windshield post and over the hinges look from the outside? Someone had previously repaired mine with some expertly crafted bondo and scotchbrite pads instead of the normal steel and once it started cracking from the stress of the door opening the cracks let water drip down around the same area.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Had similiar problem where water was coming in thru that square hole behind the kick panel. Turns out the PO had not installed the splash shields in the inner fenders after installing fenders. If you do have them, what shape are they in?

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I read your "LINK"... I'm still thinking it's a lower cowl issue. I haven't seen anywhere in your previous thread or this one where you've addressed it. If the drain holes in the lower cowl panel get clogged (like they always do) water collects around the hats and sooner or later the area around the hats rots through. I had no idea how bad my lower cowl was until I got the upper cowl panel off.
There are patch kits for 65-68. Not an easy job, but for most Mustang restorations it's a typical one that needs to be fixed, and fixed right. Cowl is structural and needs to be solid.
Thanks, I don't think this is it. I can put the hose on full blast directly into the cowl and no water gets in the car. Before it woudl leak like crazy. When testing this round we only put the the water in the corners of the window and avoided the cowl. When I fixed it I could see in there from the side drain and it's pretty solid.

Is it just me or does your windshield seal look all brittle/breaking apart? I know that leaks travel down so it can be coming down from higher up.
It's definately cracked. My son wants black interior so what what we're getting ready to do. Eventually the weatherstrip will come out when we do the headliner. If it turns out that's the problem, cool. I'm just wondering if there's something else.

Check that your hinges have sealer on them between the hinge and the body, otherwise water can leak in behind them. Also check on the antenna wire on the passenger side. The grommet can look ok and still have water leaking through it. The hinges and the antenna wire should be easy to check with a hose.

Last idea. How does that area under the windshield post and over the hinges look from the outside? Someone had previously repaired mine with some expertly crafted bondo and scotchbrite pads instead of the normal steel and once it started cracking from the stress of the door opening the cracks let water drip down around the same area.
I think you may be on to something here. The driver's door was replaced and they may not have sealed it. What kind of sealer and what's the application process? I'll try to search for that.

I think the areas around the doors is solid but I'll check today.

Thank you all for the replies. I'll keep you updated...

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I’d put in a new windshield seal and test again. That stuff gets hard and cracks.
hey swoosh, I took your original advice and pulled the fenders back. I couldn’t take them off because some bolts were frozen. The source of the leak was the same on both sides. When I pulled the original sealant off, I used a spray bottle to pinpoint the location. The photo shows the culprit.

Attachments

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh, I decided to go easy due to the location. I sprayed flex seal on it. We’ll see how it tests out today. I’m concerned about the curing in the cold temperature.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts