Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone use theose carb spacers with "power in the grooves," made by TD performance products? They claim to increas everything, including torque by 13 ft/lbs, but I'm not sure of this. this is their web sight:(click on the second one) www.tdperformance.com ] www.tdperformance.com [/url]. Is this real or a load of crap?
-Brian

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
This sounds as hoaky as the TORNADO! I can't believe that anybody would buy this crap. A carb spacer alone is supposed to do the same at a lot less money. Hey I have a magnet you can stick on your fuel line and get 20 more MPG yea right. I'd even go as far as to say that a K-N air filter on any modern stock car is a waste of money because the filter on the car is designed to flow about ten times the CFM that the car can. I put one on my lightning and after 60 ft I slowed .06 seconds in the 1/4. On a old muscle car they do seem to work.

·
Registered
4,092 Posts
Last time I was at the dyno I remember the guy at the shop saying they were a total waste of money.
Didn't hurt the power, but there were no improvements either.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
A carb spacer will do 2 things. First, it gets the carb up away from the intake so it is a little cooler. If the spacer is phenolic it will prevent heat from migrating up the intake to the carb. The other thing a spacer can do is provide a little extra plenum volume for a motor that is running out of intake. This is probably the set up the vendors have that proves that their gadget makes more power. An open spacer ona split manifold is even more dramatic because it allows some cross over draw from the carb.

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
Is this real or a load of crap?

You'll never know until you try one...

I recall having my doubts about plenum dividers until I started experimenting with them on the race car back in the early 80's. Ultimately, it was that kind of tuning which got my combos into the low-11's and became the foundations for the few "racers secrets" which I have today.

As a skeptic (to those who would profit from your experiment), I would only suggest that you buy it with a credit card, test it, and return it if it doesn't work. If they only marketed it as a carb spacer, that's one thing...but they're making performance claims to sell the item.

BTW, it appeared to be alloy of some sort...In my book, that's a no-no on an alloy manifold, especially if running alloy heads...too much heat transfer to the fuel...

Anyway, don't hesitate to experiment but just don't expect the world to change because of it..*G*

1 - 5 of 5 Posts