Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening boys and girlsls

Need a 12v switched hook up for my carb. I've read that some people run it from a pole on the stator solenoid. others from the stator connector on the alernator.

Personally, I'd like to run it to the solenoid.

Can someone tell me which is the switched 12v supply on the solenoid please?

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,484 Posts
Ford installed it to the Stator post of the alternator on literally millions of vehicles, we didn't just decide to hook it there for random reasons. I can't think how or why a connection to any point on the "starter" solenoid would be a viable alternative.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Just read that some Holleys aren't too fond of it. But if you reckon that'll wor OK. It will keep it neater, admittedly.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I have run Ford (Motorcraft), Holley, Edelbrock and now Summit electric chokes off my alternator stator post. Never a problem anywhere I lived.
If you are dead set on getting battery voltage to the choke you can trigger a relay with it.

If you have a new alternator and no stator post there are other options to connect the choke correctly (so it only has power when the engine is running, not just because the key is on).

If you are running a 2 or 3G alternator you can tap into the stator (S) wire (normally black/white) coming out of the 3 wire regulator connector.

If you cannot find a stator connection you can tap into, you can do it the GM way:
1. Put a TEE in the block at the oil pressure sending unit connection.
2. Put your OEM sending unit in one side. Wire normally.
3. Install a GM oil pressure sending switch in the other. (https://www.ebay.com/itm/ELECTRIC-C...EVROLET-CHEVROLET-GMC-TRUCK-VAN-/231510585368)
This type of switch opens with no pressure, closes when oil pressure comes up.
4. Connect 12V to one side and the choke to the other. When you have oil pressure your choke will be powered. No oil pressure = no choke power.

This is the same system used to shut off electric fuel pumps when the engine stalls.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,484 Posts
I have personally run Holleys, Edelbrocks, and the Ford Motorcraft/Holley 4180 off the Stator connection with no issues. People can and do connect the wire elsewhere, usually because they have swapped in a decidedly nonstock alternator or something. When hooked up with a relay or some other optional method we've found that the choke tends to open a few seconds quicker than the stock stator hookup but no one has come up with a good reason why someone should care about that as far as I know. The choke is a simple two later piece of metal wound up into a coil. When voltage is applied to it, it gets hot and tries to unwind. This moves the little choke lever. When it cools because electricity is removed from it it winds back up and pulls the lever the other way. Disassemble a Holley, Edelbrock, or Ford choke coil and they all have the exact same simple coil of metal in them. THey all work the same way. OK, except IIRC the Edelbrock coil is wound backwards from a Ford so you can't swap them. They would the exact opposite was as you wanted. Might have been Holley and Ford, can't remember. Ford and something. But I tried it and found out the hard way.

There's a few ways to skin this electric choke cat but none beat the simplicity of how Ford did it in the first place.

Reactions: TheRktmn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Magic.

Thanks folks!

I'm going to release the alternator tomorrow - need to change the belt anyhow - andconnect it to the stator post.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts