Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have replaced carb with a new 2-barrel with electric choke. 1967 289 auto....where can I pickup the required 12 volts for choke? The coil maybe? Let me know....

·
Registered
930 Posts
My coil was not 12v. I think it was Bart who mentioned using the heater fan motor. I made a short wire with the bullet connectors to splice in without cutting, then I used a vampire T on that wire to branch off to the choke. You could also just use a vampire T connector if you aren't worried about modifying the original wiring.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,412 Posts
If you still have a stock type alternator, Ford proved hooking that wire to the stator (STA) connector works just fine. Literally millions of vehicles from Ford were wired that way and it can't be beat for simplicity. If you've moved away from a stock alternator and no longer have a viable stator connection then seeking an alternative is quite sensible.

·
Registered
661 Posts
Agree with GypsyR...i've done it lots. Just hook it to the stator on the back of the alternator. Not powered until the engine is fired of course.

...John

·
Registered
21,340 Posts
Yep, stator connection, quick and easy. Don't go off the coil, besides the resistor wire, you'll degrade the performance of the coil and neither will work well.

The other option is to make a Y connection at the ignition switch. Plug the resistor wire into one side and have the other controlling a relay with a 30 amp line and #10 wire fused off the battery feeding a aux fuse panel.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts