Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Considering my car won't see the track, and I live in a really humid climate, at Roadracer's urging I'm switching to silicone brake fluid.

After I've reinstalled the front calipers, should I simple open all the bleed valve and let the old fluid drain for a while. Need to flush? Once drained, I could then add the silicone fluid and semi-flush the system by over bleeding each individual wheel's brake.

What do you think? Thanks - Dickson

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
That is what I was thinking, just make sure you over-do it to insure you get out all the old stuff. be preparred to spent $$ as you will waste a lot when flushing.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts

·
Registered
2,528 Posts
The super NEO DOT 610 absorbs water like DOT 3.
The advantage is just the higher boiling point, the silicone bases synthetics are not hygroscopic and do not absorb moisture. Most of the damage I have seen to brake parts is due to miosture in the system, pitting of the cylinders stc.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
You are correct in that the 610 stuff will also absorb water. This is not a completely bad thing. With the DOT 3,4,5.1 and NEO stuff, the water is assimilated INTO the fluid, which helps keep it off your parts. With DOT 5.1 the water can not be assimilated, which means that it pools at the lowest point in your system; usually a caliper or wheel cylinder.

The flavor I was most intrigued by was the ATE stuff. It absorbs water much lower than the DOT 3,4,5.1 and NEO stuff, yet "[color:red]You can put this stuff in your car and forget about it for a long time. An excellent choice for a weekend track car which also sees regular street duty.</font color=red>"

·
Registered
7,671 Posts
The Coog has DOT 5 silicone fluid... I like the stuff, I'm perfectly OK with that fact... No problems, except hi-initial costs.

Porsche doesn't recommend silicone fluid, but they do say to change the brake fluid every 2 years.

·
Banned
3,730 Posts
There is really nothing wrong with using DOT 5 fluid in a race or street application....it is like any other part, it has limitations. The major problem with DOT 5 is that although its boiling point is much higher than DOT 4, once it foams, it must drop to a temp. below that of DOT 3 to restore itself. It is very easy on paint, but annually you must remove any moisture that may have collected and is floating on top of the master resivoir and bleed just slightly at each wheel cylinder so to eliminate any moisture that might have collected at the bleeder valves.

I have run DOT 5 for 20+ years in my cars, race and street applications with no problems, not even a seal failure on my street cars.

What I would consider though today is DOT 5.1, although conventional type fluid, it has all the good properties of DOT 5 plus a much better recovery point.

Yes you can spend a ton of money on synthetic and special imported fluids from europe, which do a very nice job, but......I would compare it to putting 200 mph rated tires on a Chev pick-up when 140 mph tires will do just fine. Brake fluid is no different by comparison.

In terms of flushing the system. Some recommend using kerosene first to ensure the system is free of the old fluid, I have never done that myself. I feel more confident using about 1/2 quart of the new fluid to systematically flush the system. Then after driving the car for a few days, bleed the system one more time. Never had a problem.

If you are interested in the imported fluids, they are available through valvoline and CarboTech Engineering in Florida (where I get my brakes from)

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Oh yeah Dickson,...blame it on me! (It's really Art's fault!. Have you ever met Art? He's my hero, he so cool)

Seriously though,...I like it because it doesn't mess up my paint. I guess I just mess with my brakes enough that I've never had any problems associated with moisture either.

My Boss has had it int there for years with absolutely no problems (and I rarely mess with it).

You guys are great! Thanks for the links kktell.

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the great imput. I really thought I could find some info on this in "search," but could not......

Yes Charlie, I'm going to blame it all, and perhaps even future PIAs, on YOU ! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Nice links Kent. Thanks a lot ! Dickson

1 - 9 of 9 Posts