Vintage Mustang Forums banner

SWMBO says YES to Drag car!!!!!

827 views 12 replies 11 participants last post by  73GrandStang 
#1 ·
Well, I have been given the green light to make a drag car. But there is criteria I must follow.
#1 No more work on FBD, have to keep it the way it is.
#2 It is going to be a 76-78 Mustang Cobra.
#3 My son is going to help pay for it.
#4 I can't think of a #4 But cool dude
#5 Oh I thought of a #4 I can't go Money crazy so the Mustang II is a good choice. I like the Cobras Plus they are not very expensive.
#6 the current car I am looking at has a 351W in it that has a 1000miles on the rebuild. Half the work is done.
Let the games begin.
I am not looking to make a superfast car just low 12's will be fine with me.

#3 ·
I'd DEFINITELY consider going with one of the Fox chassis cars from the 80's or into the 90's... by looking at magazines and online, there are far more parts for these cars off the shelf. Subframe connectors, roll bars, tire/wheel combos, and all sorets of go-fast goodies. Way more readily available and I can't imagine that doesn't end up meaning a lot cheaper too...

Just my thoughts... but then again I'd do anything to avoid the MII :p

-bob

#5 ·
I know the Fox body cars are easier to work with. But! I like the 76 - 78 Cobras so If I am going to do it. I may as well do it with one I like. You see the Fox bodies all over. you don't see very many of the MII Cobras Dragging.
It may cost me more in the long run to get it set up for low 12's, But I will like it much better. SWMBO does not like the FOx body stangs at all! So my Chances for this is much better.
I Mean look at me! I have a 73 Vert, the red headed step child of the 1st generation Mustangs. I would be breaking the mold if I got something easy. ::

#8 ·
Tony,

It goes without saying that you should pay PARTICULAR attention to the chassis integrity of the MII platform - very weak, BUT it can be made stronger to handle additional horsepower/torque. Go the full route of welded in subframe connections with AT LEAST a 4 to 8 point bar/cage tied directly into the subframes and outer rockers along with the front and rear frame rails. Prepping the chassis FIRST will give you piece of mind for whatever drivetrain combo you eventually decided upon. The Mustang II CAN BE MADE to handle well - just do your research and come up with a properly executable plan and you will definitely has something that is "separate" from the breed......

PM me if you have any thoughts or questions....

randy

#9 ·
Tony, a friend of mine has a 76 Cobra that has a very built 302 in it. He needs money. Car is not street legal at the moment but is complete and legit.
Stan
Southwest Mo.

#10 ·
I just saw a 76 in the paper today,tubbed and narrowed ,8 point cage.maybe these cars are starting to become popular?

#12 ·
Well, this car is for sale.. http://home.bellsouth.net/coDataImages/p/Groups/121/121728/folders/84725/581559dragcar1.jpg

I wish I knew the price :) but the owner said he would sell it. It ran a 5.53 in the 1/8 mile. That's a mid 8 sec 1/4 mile. ::

Though, if you're making a dragcar I'd shoot for something lower than 12's. The reason I say this is you won't be happy when a near stock LS1 Camaro is running the same time as you. Or let's put it this way.. a Civic on Nitrous...
Those 12 wishes quickly become 11s, quickly become 10s and so on... You'll be addicted shortly enough..

James

#13 ·
I have to agree with Bisher on this one. As bisher said, after all the work you put into the car, you'll still be risking gettin' beat by other, less modified, cars.

I also agree with others on going w/a Fox body. But, I understand and feel you have the right to do what you like. With that said, though, why not consider myaking a 71-73 drag car? I've seen very few out there. And, you already know how to work on them. Just my opinion...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.