Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this is the first of several questions of the night(ripping out the interior and stripping the exterior of a car is good inspiration for mustang questions). :p Anyway, i was wondering whether you other mustang owners are using synthetic oil and if so why? Also, is it worth putting led additive in a daily driver? Thanks

·
Registered
890 Posts
I use synthetic oil in my new Mustang because the seals and gaskets are all new. Believe it or not, it increases the horsepower and is much more lubricative. However, I am hesitant to use synthetic oil in my 65 because it is original, and I don't want oil all over the underbody for the first few thousand miles. Regarding lead additive to my gas, yes I use "Redline" lead additive to my old 289 with the original soft valve seats. So far, I have 160,000 miles on it without an overhaul. I also use premium gas.

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
i have ran syn in my 66, and i did notice a bit of a power difference and it seemed to rev a little bit better actually.

if your seals are not up to the task, youl surely find out fast with small oil leaks due to the fact that syn oil finds ways to slip through tiny cracks a little better. luckily for me my motor seems to be buttoned up pretty tight and i usually never even leave a drop on the ground.

but is it really worth the 3 or 4 bucks a quart every 3 thousand miles.... now that, is the fun in all of it

o yeah, when i run syn i notice a slight loss in oil pressure compared to say a straight 30 weight which is very thick.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't use synthetic oil, but i use lead additive. Good to have, keeps valves in good shape. Definitely worth it.

·
Registered
9,992 Posts
I used Mobil 1 in my Shelby about 5 years ago. It started seeping out of all the little seeps that must have been there. The Regular oils don't seem to do this. Sad, I'm a big fan of Mobil 1.
Gas led additive: never used it in the Shelby, still have non-hardened valve seats and no valve recession either.

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
Walmart sells a lead substitute called CD 40 or something similar. Comes in a large bottle with a measuring cup built in. It is low cost per dose.

John Harvey

1 - 6 of 6 Posts