Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For you guys that run the synthetic oil. My question is: My motor has 68,000 miles on it, and runs great. Do you think I would be wise to switch over to sybthetic. I would like to, but, afraid to change in an old motor. Don't need anymore trouble.......
I run it kind of hard, but, traction problems and small budget prevent drag strip blasts, but, it gets hot in South Carolina. Thought this might help....Thanks

G

·
0 Posts
I have found that when switching over an older motor to run on synthetics they develop leaks. The synthetics tend to find their way past the older seals

·
Registered
188 Posts
I called the guy's at Redline when I switched awhile back, They told me that it would not break down like dinosaur oil when it gets hot(jet engines run synthetic,without it we wouldnt have jet engines). Also it will clean the varnish and sludge frome the engine, so if you have a small oil leak, it may seem to get worse because it cleans the slugde away plus it creeps better than dino oil(part of the reason its better).

·
Registered
562 Posts
I started using it (Mobil 1, 10w30) in mine when I got it 3yrs ago (no problems at all). THEY say that it doesn't break down like crude oil (looks the same to me), but for piece of mind??? (and I think it does a better job). Mark

K

·
0 Posts
Like Mark says 'peace of mind' and that's all where it is in your mind. What the others have said is true. It is a much better oil. It was developed for the military for extremes, ie.. tanks, planes, etc....in extreme conditions where changing oil wouldn't be prudent due to leaks and oil breakdown. It was brought into the commercial market with Mobil 1 with the marketing of 15k mile changes. Well now they recommend using manufacturers mileage changes. Not because it failed but hey why limit sales.

The syn oil is overkill for a normal usage car. Dino oil will suffice unless you plan on driving from Death Valley in summer to the Artic in winter. If you change oil at regular intervals, ie.3k miles, then save your $ and buy the old dino. Unless of course you want to do that mind thing and feel the peace...ahhhhhhh.......

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I've read articles in different magazines that recommend a blend. Basically 1 quart of synthetic at each oil change almost protects the motor just as well as a full synthetic change...
I put a gallon of Rotella T mixed with a Gallon of synthetic Rotella T in my diesel every 2500 miles...

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I've been using synthetic since the 70's. I put it in a Datsun 510 with 122,000miles. Sold the car 10 years later with 198,000 miles. Car didn't leak (for me) and engine never had major work done and was clean as a whistle under the valve cover. Mobil One containers used to say change oil "every 24,000 miles or once a year". I still change once a year. I change filter more often.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts