Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,511 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed the oil in the Mach yesterday afternoon. Wow, I didn't think I would see or feel that much of a difference. For starters, my idle oil pressure went from about 50lbs all the way to 64lbs!!! Holy smokes!! Didn't know what to think. I am not running a high pressure oil pump. I hope that that isn't too much pressure? Any ideas?

Then I took her for a drive and the engine seems to want to spin more freely now. It was already a quick revving motor, but I noticed a significant difference in it last night. Well, we'll see how it runs when I start driving it more. Going to the 1/8th mile drags again on Sunday, see if it makes a difference there.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I'm using Valvoline 10-40W on my 65 6 cyl, here en El Paso Texas (now we're at 100F and tomorrow and all the summer) Is better the syn than my actual oil??
What should I do? the engine feels pretty good.
But I'm always open to new ideas or ways to improve my drvive
Thanks!

·
Registered
135 Posts
I just put Mobil 1 in my Mach 1 and I noticed the same things. Don't know about gas mileage like bawhcs wrote but I can hope! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You wouldn't want synthetic oil in an engine right after its rebuilt. I waited 1500 miles and even that wasn't enough. My oil consumption after over 60,000 miles is almost nothing. Always need to change the filter at regular intervals. Synthetic oil doesn't create nearly the nasties that dinosaur oil does on the cylinder walls and combustion chamber due to its VERY low volitility during the combustion process. Our 87 Camry with 140,000 miles uses about a quart every 10,000 miles. If you have an oil leak it can make it worse. Synthetics are VERY slippery,flow better and as a result find leaks easier. In the old days, the 70's, there were some seal compatibility issues.

Back then I used Eon 30W synthetic in my 1800cc Baja Bug. It was 115 degress outside and I was driving in the desert up a narrow sand wash, dry river bed, turning about 3-4,000 RPM at 5 mph and 275-300 degrees oil temp. Drove that engine 35,000 miles before selling the car. Synthetic is fantastic stuff.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts