Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a T-10 in my May of 65 Fastback, I just pulled it out for servicing and will take this opportunity to ask some questions. Is it original to my car ? If not what is it originally from ? Been driving this car since 1968 and the original and only owner never mentioned replacing the trans. I always assumed it was the born with transmission. Other informed sources say maybe not ? I can't seem to get any real good info so asking for some help with this one ? T-10 close ratio 4 speed transmission, Tag reads HEK-V, 10 spline IN and 28 OUT, 1 groove on the input shaft, case is marked T-10 H-1, dated A22 and assembled March of 65, tailshaft is marked T10 7B dated Sept, 64, Shifter plate-9bolt (aluminum) marked T10-148B and dated April 65. Thanks, Brian

·
Registered
20,324 Posts
Found this chart T-10 and a little further poking around the V does indicate close ratio with 2.23:1. I'm wondering if your car came with a optional rear axle ratio? A wide ratio with a 3:1 rear gear is going to have the same over all ratio as a close ratio with something like 3.89's in 1 gear. But definitely the HEK-V is a 65 Mustang code for November 23, 1964 and later.

·
Registered
7,965 Posts
My Mustang was built in April 1965 and it came with a T-10. Never have been able to get a solid source for what the ratios of these (T-10) transmissions were. You said you knew yours was a close ratio (pretty sure mine is a wide) - do you know what the actual ratios by gear are for your transmission?

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Yeah, the early transmissions are a bit confusing, IIRC they were running short, and used what was available ? My '65 has a close ratio HEK-M ( 2.32 or 2.36 first, I forget ).

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
I don't know the ratio but my (June or July?) of 65 Mustang was definitely T10 with 3.00 rear gears.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Brian's should be a conventional wide ratio shown at the bottom of the chart above. His is an A code with an 8" diff. I will know more when I take it apart for him next week.
Randy

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Got my rebuilt T-10 back. Installed it along with a new 10" diaphragm clutch. Been driving around, less than 100 miles, and am very happy with them both. Been running the Diaphragm for years so nothing new there. The T-10 is a delight. Smooth shifting and quiet. No more grabbing a tooth, missing a shift, whineing or popping out of second. Little stiff here and there but with time and wear in it will be fine. Randy confirmed ' wide ratio ' 2.74 first gear. I checked the speedo drive gear and it's a six tooth. The car came the ' 5 ' Trans and ' 1 ' Axle. I have since changed to a 3.00 Traction-Lok. Special thanks to Randy for the rebuild. None of the shops, that I am familiar with, in San Diego are capable of this level of work. With the trans came a bottle of ' FORD ' GL4. Thanks for the interest and help. Brian

Attachments

·
Premium Member
10,039 Posts
I rebuilt the T10 in my '65 (Sep 1964 build) and put GL5 in it. It refused to downshift from 3rd to 2nd. Drained the GL5 and installed Redline GL4. Shifts like a dream now.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I rebuilt the T10 in my '65 (Sep 1964 build) and put GL5 in it. It refused to downshift from 3rd to 2nd. Drained the GL5 and installed Redline GL4. Shifts like a dream now.
Good point - you should not run a GL5 oil in either a T10 or a toploader gearbox - the additives in GL5 attack the bronze parts, synchro rings etc. Use GL4.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts