Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a difference in clutch style and/or dimension between 1966 and 1968? They tried to put a 66' clutch in my 66', but claim it wouldn't fit. He said something about the clutch he pulled out being a diaphram style, but it should be the three finger style?????? Also said something about the bushing not fitting. I told them to correct the problem, and make everything correct with 66' parts. After that, I started wondering if maybe my T-10 wasn't the original tranny. Could it be from a 68'? Is there a difference? I think I better call back and get the skinny...

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

·
Registered
10,287 Posts
In 66 Ford phased out the T10. After that they were all Toploaders.
Diaphram clutches were never used by Ford on the early Mustangs. I believe that is a late model thing. It is possible they tried to install a late model clutch in your car and it would not fit because they are 11" clutches and a 10/10.5 clutch /pressure plateonly will fit your flywheel and bellhousing.

Anyways, there is no difference in small block clutches between 65 and 68. The hipo did have a 10.5 inch clutch while the others were 10" but they all fit.

I ust reread your msg and you said the clutch in the car is a diaphram clutch. That is a purely aftermarket clutch and as long as you know what flywheel/bellhousing/block you have you can can a replacement for it. I don't understand the bushing thing. The late model roller bushing will fit an early crankshaft.

Paul
1965 Mustang 2+2
1989 Mustang GT Convertible
MCA #27261
MCA certified judge for 65's and late models

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, as it turns out, they had the right clutch (the three fingered version) Still they had a problem with the bushing being too small for the tranny. He claims that they matched what came out with what turned out to be a 68' bushing. I don't really care as long as everything functions correctly for now. A Tremec five speed is going in soon enough anyway. Thanks for the reply.

Shannon a.k.a. The ShanMan! /forums/images/icons/cool.gif
66' Vintage Burgundy C-code coupe
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1571656&a=12306481&p=42935059&Sequence=2.jpg

1 - 3 of 3 Posts