Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yo guys,
So I’m swapping my 73 mustang over to a manual while i got the engine out but what exactly will mate up with this with the least problem? I was planning just to grab a T5 and install that but I hear alot about how the 351 Cleveland has too much torque (this wont be a drag car only for street). Then I thought about a T 45 but they have different bell housings.

If i get the 45, can I swap on another bellhousing to mate it or will this still not work. Some people have said t45’s are single case and you can’t take bellhousing off but looking at the pictures of them they dont seem to be. Any info greatly appreciated as this will be the first trans swap i’ve done.

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Why not go with a TKO?

Sent from the interwebs
Don't know answer to posters original question but cost of TKO is a really high. Also, TKO were known to have shifting problems.

·
Registered
4,770 Posts
The problem with the T45 is the bell is also the front of the case. So it is not just a swap the bell issue. Well, it would be if anyone made the full bell end for it, or an end plate that would then bolt to an existing Windsor type bell. This adapter does not exist AFAIK.

Attachments

·
Registered
20,074 Posts
There is someone modifying the T45 to accept different bellhousings and I think doing some upgrades. Sorry I don't remember who it was. I believe the case is modified, so you're not going to buy just a swap bell housing. Go with a Toploader 4 speed. You're not building a Cleveland for fuel economy anyway. Let it live!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah tko’s just seem to be too much money and I guess theT-45 is just about out of the equation. Anyone know anybody whos had good success with a T5 and cleveland? Would a T5 be an easier solution disregarding the torque issue? Is the bellhousing still the wrong pattern on a T5?

·
Registered
4,712 Posts
Yeah tko’s just seem to be too much money and I guess theT-45 is just about out of the equation. Anyone know anybody whos had good success with a T5 and cleveland? Would a T5 be an easier solution disregarding the torque issue? Is the bellhousing still the wrong pattern on a T5?
Your best option would be to buy a T5 built with G Force or Astro parts, they are rated to 600hp and 500ftlbs of torque. Of course this will vary depending on car weight and such.

·
Registered
950 Posts
So I have a T 5 behind my Cleveland. T5 bell housing and I sent the tranny over to modern driveline for them to go through it. Some of the parts they strengthened.

The motor is rebuilt 30 over performer intake crane cams screw in studs .. comp cams magnum roller rockers with guide plates. Comp cams magnum 280 H camshaft With With magnum pushrods.. Holley 750 double pumper, long tube headers, 3.50 trutrac 9 inch rear end. I’m running the hydraulic clutch set with the external slave cylinder from modern driveline. Once I got it bled it worked fine..

I also have 295 50 15 Cooper cobra’s in the back and once in a while when I feel like an 18-year-old I will pull the two tire fire at a light, not often but I do.

The T5’s been great but I don’t beat on the car either and I don’t use it for racing.

King cobra clutch and pressure plate billet steel fly wheel

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The T45 isn't much(if any) stronger than the T5...they break all the time in 96-98 Cobras with just slightly more than the factory 300HP. I would build a T5 or go TKO or T56...none are cheap options, but all will be better than a stock T45. The best option really is the Toploader if you don't drive the car on the interstate often. There are also less common options like the 5 and 6 speed transmissions(Richmond is one, forget the others) they sell at Jegs and Summit...they cost about the same as a T56 though

1 - 13 of 13 Posts