Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is the 4 cylinder (2.3) T-5 bellhousing shallower than a 5.0 T-5 bellhousing?

If not, can I use a three finger pressure plate with a T-5 bellhousing or is it too tall?

We are using a 3 finger pressure plate with a T-5 belhousng which I bought from a swapmeet, the clutch release arm will not fit between the pressure plate and the back of the bellhousing. I do not know what engine the bellhousing came off of.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

PS - If the bellhousing IS a 4 cylinder and will not fit, would anyone like to buy it or trade ;)

·
Registered
5,417 Posts
Hmmmm, I thought the 2.3 bell was drastically different than the 5.0.

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I don't think you can use that pressure plate with any T-5 bell housing. The T-5 bell housing would seam to fall short in the clearence department since the 3 finger pressure plate is so much taller. I would guess it would hit the inside of thw T-5 bell housing.

To use your 3 finger pressure plate you will need a stock 4-speed bell housing and it should match your flywheel, 164 or 157 teeth.

The 4 cylinder bell will not bolt up to a V8!!!

Why are you using the 3 finger plate? Are you installing a cable conversion for the 5-speed?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why are you using the 3 finger plate? Are you installing a cable conversion for the 5-speed?
Yes. I tried to go with the old style bellhousing and mechanical clutch converter but it bent each time I stepped on the clutch. I tried to strighten and reinstall it several time with various alterations before it inexplicably flew thru the air in to the creek behind the house.

I'm using the plate because I have it and it's practically new. There is no way to make this pressure plate work, huh?

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I don't think it's possible. :(

When I installed my cable conversion I had to remove the helper spring from under the dash. It was so easy to operate that I could push the pedal to the floor and it would stay there. No effort what so ever the diaphram plate.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
After getting all y'all's input I have determined that I have the correct bellhousing, but the wrong pressure plate, so I won't be selling the bellhousing. Want a three finger presure plate?

Thanks for you advice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts