Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, after 2114 miles, I've decided to go from my 4R70W automatic to a 5 speed. I found a guy who has a couple full kits available but I don't know which transmission I should choose. Below are my two options:

'92 t5 WC from a 2.3L Mustang or a
'95 t5 WC from a sn95 5.0L mustang

Which would be a better choice? I have a 351w that's putting out ~ 298lbs of torque.

Thank you

·
Registered
389 Posts
hey i live pretty close to you does this guy have a shop in the area or is it just a local guy thanks man

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
The 5.0L T5 hands down, better ratios, and a 351W would spit out the 4cyl T5 for lunch.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,254 Posts
The V8 version is always first choice. Be aware that 94-5 models are slightly different. The input shaft is about 1/2" longer. This means you will also need the matching 94-5 bellhousing which is also 1/2" deeper. This all will position your shifter 1/2 further to the rear than if you used a '93 or older version. Also your driveshaft will need to be an inch shorter than what folks usually use in a T5 swap. And also the rear mount may not fit your choice of transmission crossmembers. These aren't big differences but stuff to keep in mind.
If this concerns you too much, a solution is to swap the input shaft for an older one and use a matching older bellhousing. This will make the transmission swap go like "everybody else's". Pretty much. If the T5 you're looking at doesn't come with a bellhousing anyway swapping the input shaft is even less a big deal.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Yes with the 5.0 T5. What gear ratio is in the box?

·
Registered
371 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts