Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
anyone done this conversion, with out buying one of the kits" I would rather not have to pay 350 for one if I can get the parst sfrom work... (I work for Ford)

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
I installed a 94 5-speed trans in my 65 and didn't pay for a thing except the tranny. I used the stock bell housing, shifter and flywheel set up. I made my own cross member and cable conversion. Here is a link to the cable conversion.

http://home1.gte.net/web105k5/rtm/RTM_cable_clutch.htm

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
If you're like me and not as good at metal fab as RTM for making a cross member...watch E***...there's usually at least 1 65-66 conversion crossmember on there...they typically for for around $100. I picked up a stainless steel one there that looks pretty heavy duty.

It all depends on what you start with. What engine, flywheel, bellhousing you have already determines your route. RTM's right about the cable clutch part..you can make that yourself for 1/4 the cost.

·
Registered
923 Posts
For our 65 fastback we bought a new T-5 Z series. I got a T-5 bell housing from someone. Bought the Crossmember from E-hay for $85 bought the 1 inch block from NPD. the yoke form the 3 speed was reused. The clutch and pressureplate from the 3 speed was new. the roller bearing was $12 (IIRC) from a Ford dealer. The adjustable clutch rod for a 66 was $10. The synthetic tranny fluid $4 a quart. The new springs for the z bar set up $3 at Pep Boys. The sweat and joy of laying on your back trying to get the tranny installed with my son and his freind--- Priceless.
You can do the conversion IF you get a T-5 bell housing. Then the tranny will be back the required 1 inch. You will have to buy the 1 inch spacer for the clutch fork. Go to this site for info.

www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index.shtml

Your speedo cable gear will be reusable if you don't change rear gears. If you do you'll have to change the speedo cable gear.

Dave

G

·
0 Posts
I have done several T-5 conversions. The input shaft on a T-5 is 5/8 of an inch longer. You can use your stock bellhousing, clutch, linkage and everything with an adapter/spacer for that T-5. Yes, the rear cross member has to be modified, and the drive shaft will need to be shortened one inch. You'll love the 5 speed, but you might want to put some gear in the car if you haven't done that already. 3.55's are great. Oops, I just noticed that yours is an automatic? Shame on me for thinking you already had a three or four speed car.

G

·
0 Posts
I have done several T-5 conversions. The input shaft on a T-5 is 5/8 of an inch longer. You can use your stock bellhousing, clutch, linkage and everything with an adapter/spacer for that T-5. Yes, the rear cross member has to be modified, and the drive shaft will need to be shortened one inch. You can run your same drive shaft slip yoke too. You'll love the 5 speed, but you might want to put some gear in the car if you haven't done that already. 3.55's are great. Oops! I just noticed that your car is an automatic now? Shame on me for thinking it was a three or four speed already.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
I fabricated my cross member and clutch cable setup. Both are pretty easy to do. You can do a search on my username and find some info on the conversion.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts