Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,681 Posts
So other than the sellers word, do you know how to ID a T5 and confirm that it’ll match up?

·
Registered
65 FB, v8 conversion in work. 66 SJ FB with unique mods made at LAX
239 Posts
You should find out what kind it is. World Class? V8? Determine if it’ll meet your need. If the owner will let you crack it open you’ll know what you’ll need to get it going.

I bought my WC V8 for $400 and will have another $100 due to a bad 2nd gear.

My T5 link

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So other than the sellers word, do you know how to ID a T5 and confirm that it’ll match up?
No sir I do not.
He did sent some photos of casting numbers on it

Borg Warner
13-52-066-908
E3ZR-6594. This has an AA out to the side of it
13-52-065-904
And it does say ford with the oval around It

I offered $250 and he said ok
Has a bell housing,clutch and flywheel and the plate that goes between.
GC

·
Registered
479 Posts
Here ya go for identifying a T5, see below info and links. Do not just rely on the casted numbers OR any “hang tags”. I just posted the below info a day or so ago in another T5 thread to help another VMF member.

As far as cost, I sold a WC T5 about 2 years ago that was completely disassembled, cleaned, damage free and had all new internals that needed reassembly for $250.00. A good working WC T5 from a Fox 5.0 (86-1995) is usually in the $400-$600 range (very fair pricing), depending on verification that it is in fact a true 5.0 WC T5 and that it’s not internally damaged.

Always check the external case and tail shaft housing to make sure there are no cracks.

First you have to determine which T5 you actually have OR what the Seller is selling... There’s a standard T5 and a World Class T5 (WC T5). There’s also the T5’s that were used in the Mustang SVO’s (other 2.3’s) and Ford’s Thunderbird Turbo Coupe.

Being in the Fox Body scene for over 20 years now, you have to be careful what you’re buying - because some folks like to pawn off a 2.3 T5 as being one from a 5.0 and claiming it to be a WC T5. You do not want to put a 2.3 T5 behind a V8....

To determine if you have a WC T5 or not, look at the front of the case where the output shaft is that the throw out bearing restrainer rides on. Near it, you need to look at the main bearing race that is pressed into the front of the case.

Non-WC will have or use a Torrenton bearing. Earlier Non-WC T5’s use gear oil.

A WC T5 will always have and use a Timken LM67010 bearing that depending on age and production era, appears in 2 different colors. From what I recall, the WC T5 race will have “Timken” stamped into the outer edge. WC T5’s will use ATF fluid, not gear oil!

This FIRST link has EXCELLENT info in not only identifying a T5, but also explains why you do not want to put a 4cyl 2.3 T5 behind a V8. The other sites I have linked are also very helpful:
www.moderndriveline.com

The many different faces of the T5 - Modern Driveline
World-Class T5 Not all Borg Warner/TREMEC T5’s are the same. T5 Service Manual LINK The first T5 five speeds were introduced to market in 1980, in all things, an AMC Spirit/Concord. In 1983, T5’s were introduced to Fox body Mustangs and continued to be used in V-6 Mustangs until 2010. The T5 is…
www.moderndriveline.com
www.moderndriveline.com

Identifying and Assembling a T5 5 Speed

Ford Mustang: Mustang Tech: Transmission and Drivetrain: Borg Warner T5 Transmission data

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
No sir I do not.
He did sent some photos of casting numbers on it

Borg Warner
13-52-066-908
E3ZR-6594. This has an AA out to the side of it
13-52-065-904
And it does say ford with the oval around It

I offered $250 and he said ok
Has a bell housing,clutch and flywheel and the plate that goes between.
GC
From this it appears to be a early, non-world class model

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
390 Posts
A few years ago I bought two T5 transmissions at $100 pop. It took two transmissions to make one good one. One had a bad case the other one had a blown second gear input shaft etc. After rebuilding then is alignment issues and driveline angle issues adding up to vibration. Also final drive can add issues, what rear gears do you have now? If I were to do it again I probably go with a new T5Z or stick with my toploader.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A few years ago I bought two T5 transmissions at $100 pop. It took two transmissions to make one good one. One had a bad case the other one had a blown second gear input shaft etc. After rebuilding then is alignment issues and driveline angle issues adding up to vibration. Also final drive can add issues, what rear gears do you have now? If I were to do it again I probably go with a new T5Z or stick with my toploader.
It is a stock 289 3 speed.
I think it’s 2.90
GC

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
You should find out what kind it is. World Class? V8? Determine if it’ll meet your need. If the owner will let you crack it open you’ll know what you’ll need to get it going.

I bought my WC V8 for $400 and will have another $100 due to a bad 2nd gear.

My T5 link
It’s a NWC with 82/83 casting years and has the larger V 8 input shaft.
Also come with bell housing flywheel and rear transmission yoke.

Seem to me like the extra parts alone are worth the $250
GC

·
Registered
37,647 Posts
Your options are to use your existing bellhousing, clutch and cover and release bearing and get a T-5 adapter plate and sell the other stuff, or use the new bellhousing (with a clutch fork fulcrum adapter) and your existing clutch and cover and release bearing... (the T-5 bellhousing clutch fork is a PULL to release vs. the vintage PUSH to release. The clutch parts he's giving you are pretty much useless unless you want to buy a new 28.8 oz/in imbalance flywheel with the "metric" cover plate spacing. Oh, yeah... your existing block plate probably will not line up at the bottom with the new bellhousing. The flywheel will be 50 oz/in imbalance so only useable on a late 5.0.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,348 Posts
My T5 came out of a 94 V6 Mustang. The torque ratings are the same as the 5.0, however the input shaft is slightly longer than the V8 input shaft, Saying that you either have to replace the input shaft or as I did use a wider adapter plate on the bellhousing. Fortunately my friends shop had access to a CNC machine and we made a wider adapter plate. The T5 from a V6 car will less likely be trashed from getting on it too much as with the T5 from a more powerful V8. I paid $400 for mine and it works great.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts