Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am planning on putting a 351w in my 66, the motor will be stock except for a hotter cam. I want to have the car as a manual trans, have a 1988 T-5, was going to use it, how durable are these transmissions. if i dont use a posi, would i have to worry about breaking it?

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
What car did the T5 come out of? Was it a 5.0 or something smaller? What is the part number on the T5?

Does the T5 have a steel tube on the input shaft or aluminum?

If the T5 came from a V8 car it should be good for a stock 351w.

The best T5 out there is only good to about 400 lb/ft of torque at best.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a 93 cobra t5 in my 67 and it is almost the strongest t5 available besides the z, tremecs are the best to use but are a little more expensive. if you use the tremec tko you have to change the yokes, either way you have to use a different crossmember, which is what i am still waiting on. i have a chart that has the id numbers for t5's. it's at http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2000/09/t5swap/index2.shtml there will be numbers on a tag on a housing bolt such as 1352-000-239 or such, the last three will be the tranny id.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
351w outputs about 350 ft-lbs of torque. This exceeds the T5-Z's maximum torque handling capability (330 ft-lbs). Thus, if you do a lot of standing start launches at 2000 rpm or above you'll likely break the T5-Z. Basically, the T5-X and T5-Z are 5.0L (302) transmissions. You should use a Toploader 4 speed or Tremec TKO/3550 5 speed with your 351w.

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
The Tremec 3550 is not a lot stronger than the T5-Z. The TKO-II is the beast for the 351W, if you ask me.

Or... the Richmond 6-speed. MYTOYS just put one of these in his toy.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
It all comes down to how you drive it. If you drag race it, then you will break it. If you make a habbit of dumping the clutch at 3K RPMs and you have some stick to your tires then your W will destroy the T5. On the other hand, if you dirve it like you love it and change the trans fluid about once a year then you should be fine.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts