Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,538 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did everyone have to trim the opening for the t-5 shifter to fit through the 4spd hole in the tunnel... I do not want to trim but if I have to I will... If anybody has pictures it would really help.... ::

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
I had to do some minor trimming - mainly the front part of the opening. I tried (successfully) to keep the original 4 mounting holes.

·
Registered
3,038 Posts
No trimming on '67 - - until I changed shifters. It was either make the hole larger to get to the bolts or drop the trans and do it all on the floor. :chainsaw:

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
No trimming on '67 - - until I changed shifters. It was either make the hole larger to get to the bolts or drop the trans and do it all on the floor. :chainsaw:
See, that's what I'm wondering...is the only reason people cut them is to get to the bolts? If so, I'll just put the thing in with the shifter installed, not cut anything, and hate myself later. :: :shocked2:

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
one of the reasons why guys like the TKO setups as you can change your shifter position...
While it is true that the shifter location can be moved on a Tremec, that only helps with swapping from different models. There is only a few different locations for the shifter, and only one location that will work with a vintage Mustang ... however, at least in my case that location required no mods to the car at all.

·
Registered
1,794 Posts
I just put my T5 in without trimming, but
I trimmed it on the passenger side about 1/4 inch after installing it and about 3/8 inch on the front, facing engine bay .
i was able to keep the old bolt holes in tact.
Believe me , it would have been a lot easier before installing tranny.
Actually on the driver side it maybe didnt need trimming, but its rite up against the driver side, any tranny movement ,probably would make noise rubbing.
if you have a shifter as a gauge to use?its the round part that is a tight fit . lay it in upside down as a guide touching the passenger edge of the hole and forward in the hole, mark a line around it,forward of the hole about
1/4 inch then add the gap you would like to trim to that mark...doesnt take much trimming

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I trimmed a little from the passenger side and front with the factory T5 shifter. I also drilled two 1" holes in the tunnel forward of the shifter hole. These are to access the front two bolts which hold the T5 shifter in place.

Then I decided to install a Pro-5.0 shifter. I widened it about 1/4" on the rear and 1/8" on the drivers side to get this shifter in. Was a good upgrade.

To cover the larger hole. In the Ford Racing catalogue there is a shifter boot for the console of 94-03 mustangs. The leather boot comes with a lower and inner mounted rubber boot which covers not only the widening of the holes but also the extra two holes and has a seal which fixes the rubber boot to the tranmission tunnel.

I have to do a little stitch work on the 94-03 leather boot once I get the carpet installed (if you can do anything with a thread and needle just add a little patients and it should work out fine).

:highfive:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts